Residence for Tuition Purposes

<p>I don't plan on visiting home until I qualify for in-state tuition. So, I need to establish a permanent home address (do rental apartments apply?), file an income tax return, register to vote, register a motor vehicle (buy a car?), possess an operator's license, and involve myself in community activities in Wisconsin.</p>

<p>What more can I do? I need to ensure that I qualify because I want to give my parents a break. Plus, I really do intend on staying in Wisconsin for a while.</p>

<p>Is it possible to be a resident of Wisconsin in time for sophomore year? Tips and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>You have to take a year off and work and then it is still hard. They assume any undergrad under 21 is there primarily for school. You have to prove otherwise. Not easy.</p>

<p>I have heard it's extremely difficult to get in-state status at UW. What barrons said is true, you need to work a year FIRST before you take ANY classes and then apply to a school. That's the easiest way to get in-state tuition.</p>

<p>When I move up there on Monday (gosh....so soon....), my fiance will be looking for a full-time job which he is going to work for the next year full-time. Afterwards, he plans on attending MATC to raise his GPA to a level where he can go to UW-Madison (hopefully as an in-state student...he will be >25 at the time though which will likely make it easier, it is likely harder for younger students needing to claim their parents on FAFSA).</p>

<p>so, i guess i won't be in-state unless one of my parents work full-time in wisconsin while i attend college? and maybe buy a condo in madison?</p>

<p>Real estate ownership has no major impact--ask all the Illinois kids whose parents own cabins in Wisconsin. Having a parent move and work there is very good.</p>