How to go about changing a class needed to a better time w/out risking closure

<p>OK, all in all, very impressed with BB overall. It reinforced my son’s initial visit and why he chose to go to a school so far away. While I made my son aware of classes needed on a ChemEng track and we discussed other classes, we really spent very little time on the mybama web site overall. I didn’t do anywhere near some of the handholding other parents did (not judging anyone), we just never found the time to get a rehearsal done. He went in there with a few tips such as getting Math 125, CH 101 and CHE 125 first and build around that. Unfortunately, his best options were taken early and he had to scramble. I’ll admit to anxiety while he was in there for what seemed like forever, but he then appeared and said he had a schedule. He had some problems with closed classes and forced him with an 8:00 class four days a week and make other changes but I was proud of him for getting through it on his own.</p>

<p>Now he would like to see if he can try to get a later class in CH 101 which was closed. How does this tweaking process work. Does he have to wait until next Bama Bound class registration day at that exact time and then log in. Does he need to drop his current CH 101 8AM class to view a later CH 101 time and see if it is open? How is it done exactly without risking your current class that you have from closing while you are trying it.</p>

<p>Also, he wanted a Psych 105 Honors Class but was only able to get an online class. Does anyone have experience with these classes. Any help would be approciated.</p>

<p>BTW, forum contributor Chardo is a great guy as is his son and fellow Long Islander a long way from home.</p>

<p>As far as I can tell, you can change anytime you want to (up until some deadline, the date of which escapes me, sorry). Someone previously posted to do this at an odd time (like 2 am), as, yes, there is the risk that if you drop the 8 am, and add a different time, you run the risk of someone at exactly that same moment swooping in and taking the 8 am class from you, before you can ‘regrab’ it back if you need to because the other one is full…</p>

<p>But, be careful: Chem class is VERY tricky - be sure that you have BOTH CRNs - the main course + the correct lab that associates w/ that course - only certain labs go w/ certain main courses. The online catalog was wrong at BB - not sure if it is now fixed. For the longest time, S could not work out why he could not get the CRNs to work - the 1st session goes w/ labs 1-9; the 2nd session goes w/ labs 10-19, etc. The online catalog had mistakenly listed some labs w/ every class session, and this is incorrect. We only found this out by trial/error.</p>

<p>You will need to ‘drop’ both the main course and the lab + ‘add’ both the main course and the lab at the same time. The system will not allow you to just change the main course, obviously. AND, you have to be sure there is space in both the main course and the lab, so…check carefully! And, good luck! </p>

<p>FWIW: my S is in that 8 am Chem session + 8 am lab…so, 4 days a week, he now has the excuse to get out of bed…join him?! :)</p>

<p>You can change anytime registration is open. It’s just that most seats open up in the 100 level classes during BB sessions. But keep checking periodically and see if something comes open. Late at night is a good time.</p>

<p>Have him drop/add at the same time especially if there is only one seat open in the class he wants. </p>

<p>BE CAREFUL to make sure there really is an open seat. Sometimes people think there is an opening but there are kids on the waitlist. So be sure the waitlist is either empty or there are more open seats than waitlist spots.</p>

<p>Online classes can be difficult for some people. You have to be disciplined to keep up with the work and organized so you remember to get assignments and tests in on time. I’m not sure I’d take an Honors Psych class that way but maybe some on here know differently. Online Art History ( ARH -252 or 253) on the other hand is cupcake city for a FA credit and just about as guaranteed an A as there is possible.</p>

<p>If you’re ever worried that you might drop a class, while adding a class, and then need to immediately go back and add back in that dropped class…do it in the middle of the night when others are less likely doing the same thing. </p>

<p>My son was 'holding on" to a class for a friend on his schedule, and they needed to drop it from his schedule and add it into the friend’s schedule (without letting someone else grab it)…so they did it around 3 am. Went smoothly.</p>

<p>Can some one tell me the exact steps to view if seats are available when trying to change times of an existing class.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I guess the safest way to just research what’s available is to:</p>

<ol>
<li>log onto myBama</li>
<li>Click on “Look Up Classes” (top center of the page).</li>
<li>Select Fall 2012 from the drop-down menu, then click “Select.”</li>
<li>Click on the subject you’re interested in to highlight it, then click “Course Search.”</li>
<li>Find the class you want, then click on the corresponding “View Sections” tab.</li>
<li>Under the “Rem” header you’ll how many seats, if any, are open for each section of the course.</li>
</ol>

<p>Sound right, all you pros out there? Correct me if I’ve goofed or there’s an easier way.</p>

<p>That’s right. But, some classes will appear closed until Day 2 of Bama Bound. Around 9am classes are added.</p>

<p>You can look up how many seats were in a class last fall to see how many seats a class will eventually have.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Thanks, m2ck. Good reminder.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes. Just select Fall 2011 from the drop-down menu from Step 3 in my post above.</p>

<p>Someone (a speaker, Avanti, etc…don’t remember who exactly) said that all students are locked out of registration during BB registration except for the actual BB students attending that BB. I’m not sure if she was mistaken or if they have changed the process from what we’ve read on CC. I guess we could check tomorrow morning to know for sure.</p>

<p>How do you waitlist a class?</p>

<p>^^^

</p>

<p>Source: [Frequently</a> Asked Questions ? Registration | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/services/mystudent/registration-and-advising/registration-faq/]Frequently”>http://registrar.ua.edu/services/mystudent/registration-and-advising/registration-faq/)</p>

<p>My D was successful in dropping a class and adding her preferred section/professor this morning. She attended the 5/31-6/1 BB. The class she wanted didn’t open up until 10:30 or so with 10 seats available. She was able to snag one, at the same time dropping the class she signed up for at BB. Worked like a charm.
Just wanted to add that D had emailed a dance professor after her unsucessful try-outs for the dance team and asked to have a meeting about waiving into his dance (ballet) class. The professor was very responsive and she ended up having a great meeting, discussion and tour of the studios.<br>
I am very impressed with UA - it may be a large university but all our interactions have been as personal as if it were a small liberal arts college.</p>

<p>More info about waitlisting:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Source (a document worth reviewing, IMHO): [Waitlist</a> Convention/Policy for Students | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/policies/waitlist-policy/]Waitlist”>http://registrar.ua.edu/policies/waitlist-policy/)</p>