How to list a College Course on UC Application

<p>So, I took a college course at my local community college, but then I found out it didn’t count for A-G credit. It was my first college class, and it took it this summer (2013). I was wondering where I should list it on the online application. I need to say that I went to the college from summer 2013, but if I do that, I have to list a course, and if I do that, I have to list which part of A-G credit it falls under, which I can’t do because it doesn’t fall under A-G credit. Thanks for your help in advance!</p>

<p>I had the same question, which I sent into askuc:</p>

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>My daughter is planning to apply to submit a freshman UC app this Fall. She has taken two classes from a community college that are UC-transferable, but are not on the a-g course list. </p>

<p>I want to be sure that we list these classes correctly on the application. Based on this q and a on the UC admissions website, it seems like these two classes should NOT be included in her UC GPA since they are not a-g courses:</p>

<p>[Indent]If a high school student takes a UC-transferable course at a community college and lists it on her UC application, will her grade in the course be included in her GPA, even if it is not listed on her high school transcript?</p>

<p>Students must report all academic coursework. If the course the student took is in an “a-g” subject area, the grade will be calculated in the GPA, and if the course is transferable, it will earn an extra grade point and college credit. Upon admission to UC, the student will be required to submit an official transcript from the community college in addition to her high school transcript.
[University</a> of California - Calculating GPA](<a href=“University of California Counselors”>University of California Counselors)</p>

<p>Based on this q and a, it seems like the two classes should be listed on the application along with all her other courses:
Should freshman applicants enter all courses taken or only those that are on their school’s UC-certified course list?</p>

<p>Students should enter courses that appear on their school’s UC-certified course list. Students who have attended more than one high school should list courses taken from each school’s course list. Transferable community college courses and/or community college courses that meet an “a-g” requirement should also be listed. Students can list non-“a-g” courses in the Activities & Awards section of the application.
[University</a> of California - Completing the application](<a href=“University of California Counselors”>University of California Counselors)</p>

<p>So, is it correct to list these two classes in the same section as all her other courses? Or, since they are non-“a-g” courses (but transferable), do they go in the “Activities & Awards” section?</p>

<p>Thank you for your assistance.
[/Indent]</p>

<p>This was their response:</p>

<p>
Thank you for your question.</p>

<p>You are correct, the two courses do not fit in to one of the “a-g” subject categories. </p>

<p>These courses must be listed on the UC freshman admission application under the section for non a-g courses.</p>

<p>You are also correct that the grades earned in theses courses will not be included in the gpa calculation for freshman admission.</p>

<p>AskUC - Admissions (Undergraduate)
University of California
Office of the President
</p>

<p>When you go through filling out which classes were taken at each grade level ( 9 th 10 th etc), under each category (english, math electives) there is the other category where you could wirte the course name (or subject name).
My son took a class which is Introduction to Computer science which I inlcuded under electives</p>