How would a shy girl fit in at Alabama?

<p>Hello!
I will be attending UA as a freshman in the fall. I am a shy introvert who is very comfortable being alone or hanging out with a small group. Even though I am shy, I have no problem making friends! (Weird, right?) I’m just worried that being at a large school like Alabama will cause my shyness to go into overdrive and therefore ultimately cause me to miss out on friendships and opportunities. I do not plan on having a roommate my freshman year, so I will probably be by myself for a few days. Can a girl like me find a good group of friends at Alabama?</p>

<p>Will you be in the Honors College? If so, then be sure to sign up for either AA or OA. Alabama Action or Outdoor Action.</p>

<p>If you won’t be in the HC, then sign up for that other option (can’t remember the name). It’s new and someone here will post the details.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Absolutely, but not if you hide out. You can view a large school as intimidating or as a large opportunity. Maybe this is a chance for you to expand your comfort zone and learn to transcend your shyness. Imagine how good that would feel. Think of it as part of UA’s hidden curriculum. :)</p>

<p>Good luck and keep asking us questions. We’re big, but very friendly.</p>

<p>My daughter was also very shy and introverted in high school. She has treated college as a chance to do things a bit differently, and as a result she has really found her voice. She has interviewed for quite a few positions at Alabama (i.e. Honors College ambassador) because she was upset with how she struggled during her scholarship interviews in high school and knew she needed the practice. The first ones didn’t go so well, but she kept trying and was recently selected to be an ambassador for the College of Education. I think she will always be an observer first, but she has found the large college setting to be a great place to try new things and gain confidence in herself. She did do Outdoor Action and it helped her to get her feet wet before everybody arrived on campus. I think you might actually find the larger setting a benefit because you will have so many options for classes, activities, and clubs where you can find people you feel really comfortable around!</p>

<p>I went to a small school myself so I can’t speak to a large school like UA, but get involved with like-minded people through clubs/organizations. And if you are worried about being isolated, getting a single room might not be the best idea.</p>

<p>my daughter’s story sounds a lot like WhitLo’s. she was shy and timid in high school. afraid to run for an office, afraid of interviews etc.</p>

<p>she has really blossomed at UA. she has had various leadership positions within her sorority and her major. she has interviewed MANY times for different things, and, while she still doesn’t like interviewing, she does at least ok at it, maybe better than ok.</p>

<p>i wouldn’t necessarily recommend living by yourself. and you will have to get out there and make an effort to make some friends.</p>

<p>As is sometimes the case: The bad thing about a big school is also the best thing.</p>

<p>At a small school, if you fail, or do poorly, everybody knows and your die is set.</p>

<p>At a big school, you have many other unbiased groups available in which to succeed.</p>

<p>I’m very introverted in real life (don’t seem to have the same problem online :)). I was that way in high school, in college, and in my adult life.</p>

<p>I went to a large state flagship and struggled a lot during my freshman year because although I met A LOT of people, I didn’t develop any strong friendships and felt very isolated. I considered dropping out after that year, but I’m not one to quit and decided to give it another shot. My sophomore year things totally turned around because I met people who I shared a lot in common with and developed some very strong what have become life-long friendships. </p>

<p>From personal experience, my advice like noted above is get involved in activities that you are very passionate about where you will meet others that share common interests and that you will be able to develop friendships with. Choose any activity that you have a strong interest in, there are many to choose from on campus. </p>

<p>Also like others have mentioned, and I’m saying this understanding being very introverted, I would recommend not living alone. Although I did not get along AT ALL with my first roommate my freshman year (or my second for that matter) it was very good for me to have someone around and that motivated me to do more than isolate myself in my room. If you really feel you need your own space the suites are great because you still do have your own space, but still do have other roommates.</p>

<p>Honestly, Algirl, you would probably benefit greatly from joining a sorority. You might want to look into it. If joining one of the sororities with a house is too expensive, there are a few other multi-cultural, Christian, and traditionally African-American options, and an NPC sorority that does not participate in the big recruitment week.
Sororities are good a helping you learn how to talk to people, especially total strangers! You can get involved on the leadership side, which usually is excellent training.
Something to think about, anyway. Check out uapanhellenic.com and greekaffairs.ua.edu. Feel free to PM me and APhimommy about sororities and their recruitment process.</p>