Howard University Early Decision for Fall 2022 Admission

Howard University offers both Early Decision and Early Action for freshman admissions.

Application Type Application Deadline (for receipt of submitted Common Application) Document Deadline (for receipt of optional test scores, letters of recommendation, academic records etc.) Notification Date (notices will be sent via email)
Early Action November 1, 2021 November 15, 2021 Late January 2022
Early Decision November 1, 2021 November 15, 2021 Late January 2022
Theatre Arts (apply as Early Action/Decision applicants) November 1, 2021 November 1, 2021 Late January 2022

Source

Last year, Howard University admitted 85 of the 239 applicants who applied early decision. The acceptance rate was 35.56%.

Last year, Howard University admitted 3,513 of the 6,950 applicants who applied Early Action. The acceptance rate was 50.55%. For more information visit the Howard University page on College Confidential.

See updates and discuss results with other Howard University applicants.

Are you planning to apply early to Howard University? Why Howard University? What questions do you have about applying early? Comment in the thread below.

To discuss other Howard University topics visit the howard-university tag on CC Forums.

Have more information about Howard University Early Decision?

This post is a wiki and allows CC members to edit and update relevant information - just click the Edit button in the lower right corner. (You must be a registered user with at least Member level privileges to edit wikis).

3 Likes

Is a highly qualified student, based on SAT score, GPA, extracurriculars, more likely to obtain a full-ride scholarship if applying EA or ED at Howard?

anybody hear their EA decision yet?

I think decisions are scheduled to come out on January 28.

1 Like

thx!

Anyone receive anything yet? No changes on their social media and DD and her friends and have been checking every hour since 10am.

Same here! Nothing yet 

DD22 Accepted!
School of B - Info Systems.

Now crossing fingers for merit aid/scholarships.

3 Likes

Yeah I also got accepted to CS major. Hoping for good merit aid.

2 Likes

My DD was also accepted!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My daughter was excepted EA. Now waiting for decisions on any merit. Anything yet?

2 Likes

My daughter received her package a couple of days ago. She’s not going, due to the housing situation there. Given her credentials, we were surprised her scholarship award wasn’t greater than it was. Half of her package was loans.

Thank you for the update. This frees up available spots for other prospective applicants.

2 Likes

Hi! What’s the housing situation you mentioned above???

My daughter feels the same way about the housing and financial aid package too.

1 Like

It was all over the news back in October. Students protested for a month back in October/November to protest the living conditions in the dorms. There are a few problems. First, that area of D.C. is heavily gentrified. My daughter and I went to visit D.C. back in July; they were the only school in the area not doing tours, and there didn’t seem to be anyone on campus yet. I just so happened to latch on to a gentleman who was an alum who lived in the area. He gave us a whole tour, which was really nice. Interestingly, you could see there was construction going on on some of the dorms (he identified them as dorms), but there was nothing going on, just construction equipment.

A few days after my daughter submitted her application, reports started coming from students that there were pipes that burst, mold and mushrooms growing in the rooms and on their belongings, and roaches and rats in the dorms. At first I thought the incidences were isolated. But then the reports continued to come in (you can google “Howard University housing” or “Howard University dorms” and scroll down and you’ll see links to articles). Roland Martin did a walk through with some students (I watched that on YouTube). They set up tents in the quad area because of the conditions of the dorms. They stayed out there for almost a month. The president of the school was not responsive (I was shocked at how he gaslit them). The students had demands. Jessie Jackson went to meet with the president of the school. Debbie Allen and Phylicia Rashad (who is the dean of fine arts there) had a little disagreement that was posted on who was right - the students or administration.

The administration finally came to an agreement with the students in November, but the agreement is private, so no one knows if the demands of better conditions are being met (this is also in news reports).

The problem is that Howard has had housing issues for decades. And it came to a head, because they contracted out maintenance of dorms to a private company -
a 40-year contract that started in 2016 - Howard Living Conditions Blamed On ‘Slumlordy’ Property Management Company (do a Google search for the company - Corvias).

Here is another link: Howard U's housing issues aren't new. They've just hit a boiling point.

There are other links - instagram posts as well.

I’m not in the business of disparaging anyone or any school, especially an HBCU. I graduated from Clark Atlanta with my M.B.A. I desperately wanted this situation to not seem as bad as it was being portrayed. But I followed this situation every day that it was going on. And I tried to keep an open mind, because my daughter was so excited to be there, to study in the History program, to be amongst her own and to learn and grow both academically, professionally, and personally at Howard. If she didn’t have to stay on campus, and if I had the funds to arrange off-campus housing (which I think it’s required to stay on campus freshman and sophomore years), she would be there. But as a parent who lives in Atlanta, that’s too far away for me to be stressed out and worried over housing. If a student can’t feel safe and remain healthy where he or she lives, it really is impossible to focus on learning.

Please forgive the length of this comment. But unfortunately, that’s what’s going on.

And interestingly, you can’t find any updates about what has subsequently happened after they came to the confidential agreement with the students. For me (and I stress, for ME), that’s a red flag.

And the cost of room and board is much too high to be dealing with those issues.

4 Likes

Thank you thank you for this very informative post. I’m definitely going to go review some of these reports. So thankful for CC, I literally can’t keep up with everything going on on my own!!

2 Likes

Likewise, I’m going to take a look at these posts and see where Howard is in rectifying the problem.

1 Like

If you find something, let us know. I’ve been looking all over the place, and it seems that the confidential agreement they came to probably includes students not being able to comment or they will be expelled. That was one of the threats that was made to student protestors this fall. I’ve checked Google, Twitter, and Instagram. Students posted a lot on IG.