I got accepted to Bloomsburg's and Penn State's nursing program.

I have a 4-year $25,000 scholarship. I qualify for full Pell Grant. I also have another scholarship coming my way. Now I don’t know which college to choose. Bloomsburg has also told me to apply for the Board of Governors scholarship and I did. I don’t really care for location that much. I know a few people at each university. Any advice on which one to choose from? Any comments on decision? Which one would you pick(Explain if you want)? Please feel free to say anything, leave your opinion, and/or what you want! :smiley:

Oh and also, the 4-year $25,000 scholarship is from a private intuition that went to, not from either colleges.

First calculate the net cost for 4 years, after any aid. Don’t expect much if any aid from Penn State. Make sure you add in extra tuition that may be required for nursing in the last 2 years (which is sometimes known as a “differential”).

PA. just announced that tuition for Bloomsburg will be going up 25% for a full time student taking 15 credits. If you try to take 18 credits in a semester, you can be socked for a 50% tuition increase above this year’s tuition. That is just plain wrong.

Then list the pros and cons of each college. You can end up with a question, such as “Is Penn State worth a net difference of $xxx thousand for a nursing degree.”

Bloomsburg is not a bad town, but it is a little isolated. There is a very large hospital nearby, which is a big plus. State College is a much more interesting and exciting town. However, there is only one small hospital within a one hour radius. They have you go to the Milton Hershey Medical Center for your 3rd or 4th year. I hear some of the other clinicals, by necessity, are in State prison.

The first 20K or so of federally subsidized loans are not a burden for most people who graduate with a useful degree. However, any greater amounts of debt become much more expensive, because they are not subsidized by the feds.

Also, there will be substantial expenses ahead - for uniforms, equipment, maintaining a car to get to clinicals, etc. Nursing textbooks are unusually expensive, and many students don’t re-sell those books, because they want to use them to study for the certification text. Therefore, don’t cut your finances too tightly by picking a more expensive college without a good reason.

If you are a middle income PA. resident going to a PA. college, you will probably also be eligible for $2,000 to $4,000 of PHEAA grants per year. Make sure you apply each year before the deadline, including the spring before you start college. PHEAA is usually linked to FAFSA.

http://www.pennlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/01/more_tuition_experiments_being.html

Even with this new set of tuition increases, Bloomburg is still one of the most affordable options. They are supposed to use some of the increased revenues to increase financial aid.