Penn State vs West Chester

<p>I have been accepted to both Penn State and West Chester's nursing programs. Both are in state for me. </p>

<p>I would like some opinions on both nursing programs at these schools. I am leaning toward Penn State because it seems like Hershey is a great place to have clinicals. West Chester is very close to home for me so that would be nice. </p>

<p>I am having a really tough time. Any comments are appreciated! </p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Those were two of my daughter’s choices.</p>

<p>The ability to do clinicals at the Milton Hershey Medical Center is a major plus for PS. Among other aspects, PS just build new big pediatric facilities at Hershey. However, it also means leaving your non-nursing college friends and activities for a year, which is a negative. The clinical opportunities in the State College area are very limited, and end up including state prisons. </p>

<p>I never saw the inside of West Chester’s nursing facilities, but I read they are kind of crowded. It would be good to know what kind of simulators and other technologies are available - I would guess that PS would be superior.</p>

<p>The tuition at PS goes up the last 2 years for nursing - I believe is around 20K a year in-state for nursing this year.</p>

<p>The newer on-campus housing at WCU is unusually expensive. I’m guessing you would need a car to do clinicals from WCU, which is an added expense. You probably wouldn’t need one at Hershey (they provide housing for nursing students right next to the hospital complex), but you might to do clinicals while you are in State College.</p>