IB HL MATH drop

I have already taken AP Calc BC with a 5 and am in IB HL year one at the moment. Do you guys think that Calculus BC is enough? I’m not interested in math/engineering and the only major that I would consider (that has to do with math) would be economics/business. Should I stay in HL math? i have a good grade but I realized that the Year 2 curriculum is quite limited … Vectors, Matrices… etc. Not interested.

If I don’t apply to business school, I will be applying as undecided.

Thanks

I’m not really sure, cause I’m just starting out with IB myself. But I think it would be wise to stay in math HL for college credit. But if you don’t think you could handle math HL, just drop the subject to SL. Remeber, it would look way better if you have a 7 in math SL rather than a 4 in HL. But since you already have good grades, I guess staying in math HL would be the better choice. It really depends on the college you are interested in.
Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I can handle HL well but I’m just seriously not interested in it. I am interested in top schools but NOT interested in math. I want to add another social science course

BC is fine (great, actually) for most colleges. However, I would recommend that you take another/different math class to replace Math HL with as most top colleges recommend 4 years of math, and many top applicants choose to go beyond BC. Does your school offer Multivariable Calc or another higher-level math class that you would be interested in? This can especially be an advantage if you’re applying to business schools.

If you’re really disinterested in continuing Math, then take the social science course. Why not take a class you’re interested in? Just be aware that Adcom know & note the classes offered at your school vs. the classes you take, so if you do take a social science be sure that it is at comparable level to Math HL.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Have you got stats? That can be a math filler for sr yr and shouldn’t cause you any pain. Might actually be useful.

Ask the admissions offices of the colleges you would like to attend if they literally require 4 years of math or if they just require that you’ve reached a 4th year level in math which probably means one course above Algebra 2.