IB Subject Dillema!

<p>So I am currently in 10th grade, and I have until April to choose my IB subjects.
The only problem is I have not yet decided what I want to major in, and that is crucial when choosing IB subjects.
I do have an idea, though. I'm interested in Economics, Engineering, or maybe Design.</p>

<p>Also, my school is afiliated with another program, which is why IB subjects are limited (they have to coincide with the other program's subjects).</p>

<p>So, my choices right now are:</p>

<p>Spanish A1- SL
English A1- HL
Physics- SL
Maths- HL
History or Psychology- (I have not yet decided whether I want SL or HL)
Design and Technology- HL </p>

<p>The problems are that:
1) I think I want to choose History, because it seems super interesting. However, I know people who chose Psychology and loved it. So I'm not sure. Which one do you recommend?
2) I don't know if it really a struggle to try and do 4 HL?
3) Is Maths HL deadly? I have done the IGCSE in Math Extended. I know it's a challenge but I think I'm capable.
4) Physics HL is kind of a struggle for me since I didn't choose IGCSE Separate Sciences. So if I take SL, would Engineering Universities mind?</p>

<p>By the way, my school does not offer IB Economics unfortunately.
Some teachers have recommended that I take Business Studies instead.
However, the teacher is not very good and many people have told me they did not like the subject.</p>

<p>It depends on whether you are interested in US or British universities but for either HL math and physics would be best for engineering. History is perceived as better college preparation than other social sciences. I can’t remember which Ivy school website I read that said get a firm background in history and save the others for college. HL math is difficult. You could probably read about the topics on the IBO website.</p>

<p>I am confused as to why it is crucial to know your major when picking IB subjects. My daughter is a sophomore and will be in the full IB program junior year. The IB coordinator asked what her interests were, but did not tell her to choose a major.</p>

<p>@apollo6 I am particularly interested in the US. So, yeah. I’ll try to do Maths HL. Thanks! :)</p>

<p>@twogirls I apologize if I was unclear. It is not crucial to decide a major right now to know if you can do particular subjects in the IB, or anything. It’s just that my counselor recommended to choose subjects that relate somehow to what I want to major in, so I could get a better pre-college preparation.
In addition, I believe a lot of universities credit IB courses.</p>

<p>Thanks for clarifying as I was getting nervous! Yes the counselors ask for your interests and the students select their choices, but the teachers and colleges realize that students change their major all the time. In a three week period my daughter went from psych to PT to pre- med…</p>

<p>The OP may have mentioned college majors because s/he is not at a US school. Universities outside the US have specific high school course requirements to enter certain college majors. Students often go straight into their major without the broader liberal arts requirements that most US undergraduate degrees have.</p>

<p>Yes that’s true- thanks</p>