If the Ivy League expanded

Perhaps an equally interesting hypothetical is which schools would reject the opportunity to join the Ivy League today. I think several of the schools, even beyond the existing power-5 conference schools (Stanford, Duke, Vandy, NW, which would reject 100%) would reject the opportunity.

Chicago has made their identity on the rejection of big-time football. I don’t think they’d ever go back, nor would their alums let them.

Bowdoin already rejected the Ivy League once, didn’t it? Similarly, the other Amherst/Williams types have no interest in joining a league that would require that they grow their schools into something unimaginable.

MIT - so proudly focused on academic admissions? No way.

2 Likes

I wonder if those numbers were ever scrutinized.
Given how easily figures are shifted (“allocated”) into different buckets, based on what’s considered “academic”, “general”, etc. expense, or how amortization/construction costs for stadiums, etc., it would be quite possible for sports programs to “show” profits if that is the sought-after answer.

1 Like

You forgot Gary Fencik. The Harvard TEs is a bit of an aberration, and I’d question the “star” label the article uses. And of course, Fitz is everybody’s favorite feel-good story. Overall, the speed and line play from P5 would be overwhelming for Ivy League squads. It would be ugly.

1 Like

Gary Fencik. There’s a name from the past. He could lay them out. Like the can in the commercial and of all the accomplishments of the Ivies - Presidents, CEOs, diplomats, etc - there he is front and center (#45) in one of the great music videos of all time.

He represents Ivy well.

1 Like

Let’s not forget 3 time Super Bowl champion New England Patriot and Brown Alum James Devlin.

1 Like

This assumes the P5 wants to join the Ivy League. I expect few, if any, would. Stanford was looking for a new home after the Pac 12 dissolved and recently joined the Atlantic Coast Conference. Given that Stanford joined an east coast conference, it seems distance to east coast for athletic events is manageable. However, if the Ivy League had invited Stanford to join instead of the Atlantic Coast Conference, I very much doubt Stanford would have accepted.

Stanford has a very different sports model than Ivy League colleges and wants to retain that model, particularly for football, which is the key revenue earning sport for Stanford. For example, Stanford’s net profit/loss by sport in a recent year is summarized below. Stanford does not want to drop down to Ivy League conference level, particularly for football. They also do not want to eliminate post-season bowl games, eliminate athletic scholarships, drop down to max of 10 games per season, etc. The Ivy League has an especially unique athletics program that apparently works well for the member colleges, but would not work well for most other colleges.

Football – $13 million net profit
Men’s Basketball – $2 million net profit
All Other Sports – Loss of $0 to $3 million (highest loss occurred in women’s basketball)

1 Like

I agree, and in fact I am assuming a P5 would turn down any such invitation for the reasons you mentioned.

I’m just saying that any hypothetical matching would require the P5 to change their programs or the current Ivies to change theirs. Both rather unlikely.

In case anyone missed it, Duke beat Clemson last night. That’s what the Ivy League would be up against just in Duke, and Stanford football overall is significantly better than Duke.

2 Likes