IL Parents - Trip to T-Town

<p>IL Parents – I know there has been discussion on the Facebook group about the route down to Tuscaloosa because of road construction so I thought I would post about our trip down this weekend since I am not on Facebook (husband is). We live in Chicagoland and left about 6:30 a.m. on Friday. We took the I-65 route. There were no problems through Indiana and Kentucky.</p>

<p>We hit Nashville about 3 p.m. and, while it slowed a bit (I think the discussion was about avoiding bridge construction in this area), traffic was not really much of an issue. Like I said – it was a little slow in parts but no standstills. Could also have been the start of rush hour?</p>

<p>Our real problem came once we hit Alabama about 5 p.m. Storms rolled in around Decatur – that, combined with bridge construction and, we think, an accident caused a stand still at the I-65/I-565 exchange. Cars were backing up to get on the I-565/Rt 72-20 exchange and take an alternate. My husband was behind us in the van and he tried getting off and bypassing I-65. That didn’t work out well – more back-ups and accidents and it took him 2 hours to get back to I-65. Son and I stayed in his car on I-65 and were moving in about half an hour. More storms as we got to Birmingham and they knocked power out to a number of gas stations on the route between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa (we needed gas at that point!). We finally got to the hotel about 7:30-8 p.m. – husband arrived about 9 p.m.</p>

<p>We only stopped for gas/bathroom breaks and 20-30 mins for lunch at Wendy’s in Kentucky.</p>

<p>Move-in was a breeze – they have that down to a military operation. Stuff was out of the cars and into his room within 10 mins. We helped him set-up a bit, bought some of his books, Target run, etc…. We will leave this afternoon – depending on the time we might just drive as far as Louisville tonight and finish up tomorrow. Unless we leave early enough in the afternoon and get ambitious…….</p>

<p>I sure hope they get that bridge construction done soon. I think it was supposed to complete last week. </p>

<p>Northbound construction is complete (I think). Southbound construction is supposed to complete this weekend.</p>

<p>*“We’re hopeful of having the southbound lane restored to full traffic by this weekend,” Garner said. “That will depend on the weather.”</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Thanks for the construction/traffic update. Some of us are still in the Chicagoland area and will be leaving this week. Knowing where delays are will assist us in planning our route.</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>I was stuck in that traffic jam at I-65/565 on Friday afternoon myself. I was leaving Huntsville headed to Tuscaloosa for move-in. It took an hour to get onto I-65 and over the bridge, but it appeared they were finishing up the work and taking down all of the orange cones when I went across. When I came home today the southbound lane of the bridge was open, so hopefully they are finished.</p>

<p>I took a different route to above. Left western Chicago ‘burbs ~7 am, took 355 to 80 to 57 (avoiding IN altogether) all the way to 24 into Kentucky. There were some pockets of construction on 57 (both directions), but nothing to cause much of a delay, if anything. Took 24 to 65, and decided to brave the bridge work (how bad could it be?!)…well! Watching the GPS count up every second as another minute until arrival is disheartening, to say the least. It took about 20-25 minutes to get past the puniest of ‘construction’, which wasn’t even on a bridge anyway - just a couple of guys leaning on shovels, from what I could gather. I digress. Continued 65 South all the way to 59. Arrived at hotel at ~7.30. We had 4 stops - lengthy for lunch, 2 petrol, and 1 pee break. The thunderstorms were terrific - at one point all traffic was slowed to 45, with flashers on, full-on windscreen wipers, and even then it was probably unsafe to be driving at that speed…
Coming back today, left at 11.40, and got here (795 miles to the dot) at 11.20; same 4 stops, but much shorter dinner break. Much quicker coming home - no construction whatsoever, except just a few annoying bits on 57 -you have to slow for them, but no delays.
Best of luck to everyone traveling.
There is a FANTASTIC rest area in northern border of Tennessee - think it is called Whitehall or something like that - an historic old building which is well worth a stop. Extremely clean - like, I could not fathom how clean it was compared to every other stop I have ever been in. I had such a great experience that I stopped on the way back through, even though I didn’t have to ‘go’ (which is a 5 minute detour through several turns/twists over the highway), but well worth it, again. The workers take such pride in that particular spot - they had picked fresh flowers from the garden, and put them in an Ale 8-1 bottle (very old soda brand). Made me think I was back in the 50s or somethin’. Now I know you’re all gonna stop, right?! :slight_smile: Be sure and sign the guest register so they keep it open.</p>

<p>Re move-in, in Riverside (and I suspect in the other dorms which are shaped similarly, like the new ones), the storage closets out in the hallway are very generous - about 10 or 11 feet tall, and easily will fit all of the leftover stuff/boxes that people want to keep for move-out. Also, I was very pleasantly surprised that Riverside (and other dorms with that layout) have very generous storage cupboards throughout - even though the kitchen looks small on the blueprint, there is so much space for stuff. (not much counter space, but tons of cupboard space) Ditto in the bath and in the shower areas.
I can say, as advice, the Riverside dorms are pretty stark - the hallway is long (not split like in RCS) and the bathroom sink areas are cavernous - bring tons of posters and stuff to decorate with - even if you have boys - there is no way that anyone would have brought enough stuff to fill up the dorm.
And, lastly, for those planning on buying everything down there…hmmmmm. Walmart was pretty picked over and barren when we went through (Saturday afternoon and later that evening), as well as Target. Fortunately, I had packed about 90% of stuff he needed, including all toiletries and cleaning supplies except the bulky paper goods…and he forgot his pillows, so that was really all we ‘needed’, but ended up spending another $200 on ‘stuff’. I can only imagine that next weekend will be SUPER busy, and expect long lines to check out and pay for stuff. At 11.30 pm on Saturday night, I spent a good 20 minutes in line, despite a dozen cashiers open.
Be sure to have kids check out their dorm rooms thoroughly (including insides of ovens, fixtures, drawers, etc.) for damage and stains. There is form you fill out recording everything, and they kind of pressured son into completing it quickly, yet we discovered tons more ‘damage’ when putting things away throughout the day. Suggest you try to keep that form until you are done w/ putting everything in its place. You have to leave your license as collateral.
More later under different posts/threads. Thanks, everyone, for all of the advice and support. Happy to return the favors to future parents! ;)</p>

<p>Found it! Whitehaven, Paducah, Kentucky. Enjoy this historic spot.
<a href=“http://www.kentuckytourism.com/explore/tours_byways_trails/whitehaven-mansionwelcome-center/2481/[/url]”>http://www.kentuckytourism.com/explore/tours_byways_trails/whitehaven-mansionwelcome-center/2481/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thank you, aeromom, for that rest area tip. I think the one leaving Alabama going back to Mississippi is beautiful as well. In fact, they had live music playing on a trip this spring, big bass player, trumpet, almost like a Dixieland band. Very clean, too. Hope to one day not to be in a rush and get to stop and see a lot of historic areas on the way back to Louisiana.</p>

<p>I do love Riverside. Son lived in Ridgecrest West this summer, and even though the dorms are similar, I found that the sink area in Riverside, at least my son’s room, was more spacious. The boys can actually fit a draining board, whereas, in his Ridgecrest summer room, there was no room, so we went with paper goods for the summer. Good thing, since his roommate was a slob, so happy he didn’t have to wash any dishes in that filth.</p>