I'm a black female and nervous about going to college because of racism

<p>You make your own results. When you get on campus, keep your head high, do not become ignorant about things. Get involved with the black community because they will be your support and friends. Have a positive mind because if you go on campus thinking everyone is a racist, then you will have a negative mindset.</p>

<p>to answer the question, oh yes, there will be some covert racism EVERYWHERE for the rest of your life. I agree with bite size but also with ambrosia18. But people will look at you and assume they are better, profs will assume that you are an AA charity case. PROVE THEM WRONG, well that is if you are truly qualified in the first place. No one will burn a cross in your front yard, but my parents have told me stories about how profs told them to do easier majors, like psych where most of “their people” are, or that most of “their people” would be happy to get a B, etc. Or where in group work they are the only ones to get a C while everyone else gets an A. Stand your ground, don’t be pessimistic, but don’t allow the BS. In this day and age, you can get profs fired for saying things like that. </p>

<p>P.S. I also agree with onbeauty’s last comment about “not having a spot”.</p>

<p>Where did your parents go to college, starlight*?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You’re presuming that this starlight* individual is genuine. She is not.</p>

<p>There are an awful lot ofabsolutes being used in this, discussion (cough flamewar cough).
There is not racism against blacks
Blacks never complain about things that arent actually racist
etc etc</p>

<p>It is much more likely that there is some racism against black people, and other minorities, but that sometimes whites people are wrongfuly accused of racism.
Personally I am opposed to Affirmative action. I think it would be more fair if it was directed towards socioeconomic level than race. Thats really why there are less of some races in Universities, because some races tend to be of a lower socioeconomic class, and thus have poorer education etc. This would prevent the situation where two middle class high school kids esentially equal in qualification for university are differentiated by the colour of their skin.</p>

<p>Does being opposed to AA make me a racist. Not conciously atleast. More than likely I am just jealous becuase it seems to me that african americans can get into Ivy league colleges with SAT scores 300 lower than mine, and that I wish I could be guaranteed entrance with the score I have, as I would if I was black. Does jealousy of percieved unfairness make me racist. Maybe AA really is justified but I happen to live in one of the best cities in North America which has a relatively low level of poverty, and thus I do not observe Minorities who really need AA. Does my jealousy and limitted perspective make me a racist?</p>

<p>Hi - I really hope you get into BU or NYU. I’ve lived in Boston all my life and I highly doubt that students in Boston would be racist, its a wonderful safe city. I believe you would be fine at NYU as well - heck its New York City - a true melting pot.'</p>

<p>Best of luck to you</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Though you mentioned that you had a problem with absolutes, you yourself have used one, and one that is not wholly true at that.</p>

<p>@ksarmand, yeah I was rushing when writing that, and perhaps it is true that many people tend to use absolutes subconciously, considering it is easier to say that african americans will always get into a university with a lower SAT score than saying 85% of the time african americans will get into universities with a lower score, (intirely made-up statistic in case you were wondering). But in my defense, guarantee isn’t always an absolute, it can also be used as an expression of conviction. So what I am saying is that I strongly believe that if I had an SAT score 300 lower than my current one, an was african american, I would be admitted. I strongly believe it, doesnt mean its true though, cause really, what do I know?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I believe your context indicated that it was an absolute, though the other interpretation is entirely valid.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Indeed, what do you know?</p>

<p>“I strongly believe that if I had an SAT score 300 lower than my current one, an was african american, I would be admitted.”</p>

<p>I strongly believe that the odds of an African American having the SAT score of an Afrcian American who got admitted, are the same as those of a white american getting the SAT scores of a white american getting admitted.</p>

<p>I may sound really ignorant… or tired right now , but in a sense I feel as if the outcome of this particular situation, or other types of situations such as this one are justifiable. What IS FACT is that African Americans or minorities on average are not given the same opportunities generally in life as the majority . A lot of them (not all) go through great lengths to get an education and “succeed” in life (in this instance,mainly referring to the ones who are of ivy league credentials.) Because of this, I feel as if the African American (or minority) who on average has less opportunity and who’s racial group has had less opportunity for for the most amount of time should (obviously not every time) get the advantage .In the future, because of the existence of things like AA;things that are trying create to balance within our social constructs, everyone will be given ‘equal opportunity,’ and your situation will not exist. My point is that yes the URM that has 300 less points on the SAT than you, on average will have had somewhat of a “harder” time getting there than you (depending on the circumstance); yes because of their minority’s history. You may not get it, but in many ways it is proven and has be proven on this post. Unfortunately,because of our past history it needs to be done. The margin of minorities who achieve the higher SAT scores are lower than the majority. Which makes sense because of their opportunities or lack thereof. Nevertheless, this shouldn’t always be the case. Colleges look at the applicants in their entirety, and race, regardless of whatever ******** people are saying about it being a “social consrtuct,” has A TON to do with ones life, education and social status etc. Our already admitted flawed society unfortunately probably would never change if we didn’t have things like AA and colleges taking race into consideration.</p>

<p>After reading the various replies to the original question I am further inclined to believe we have to forge together and make an impact. What I mean by forge together is simple let our work speak for us.</p>

<p>We should bann together by going into those fields under represented by African Americans (i.e.) medicine, engineering etc… Once we have significant growth in these fields we pay it forward by empowering and encouraging others to do the same. Then we will have a cycle of producing and proud people.</p>

<p>As an African American woman who is Muslim I have a few obstacles in front of me. I also know that it is not the challenges, but how I rebound from those challenges.I do believe we are making some strides and overt racism is on the decline. I am though prepared for the covert racism. I have been taught to believe and now know that doing for self is my only option. </p>

<p>I am a junior in high school and have been mapping out my future for some time now. Love for ever one is awesome love for self is paramount.</p>

<p>Hope to see all on top</p>

<p>^ Well said premedprincess, I am also an “African American woman” lol but I didn’t want to sound biased in my approach so I left that out :)</p>

<p>Generally speaking, you will not find anymore racism in college than you will in the real world (lest you go to Bob Jones University). But, again generally speaking, you really shouldn’t have any problems at NYU. On the BU campus itself you’ll be fine, but in Boston you may feel just a tad bit more tension.</p>

<p>“I’m not trying to whine or anything but I hear some people talk about Latinos and Blacks being targeted by some students because supposedly we’re only there because of Affirmative Action. And I really REALLY don’t want to deal with that crap. The schools I want to go to are BU or NYU btw.”</p>

<p>That is true. I posted something on the USC section about the racism I encountered on campus. The best advice I can give is to go to a school where YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE. If that’s at Nebraska, Georgia Tech, NYU or Howard then go there. Life is too short to be abused and you do not want any mental scars.</p>

<p>YOU Know what the problem is…A foreigner can come to this country and work hard and become something. It’s not just foreigners from Africa, but anywhere. America is the land of opportunity, This is not the 1960’s. Black America is held back by victim mentality. There are many black Americans who have worked hard and became something yet the majority want to blame everyone else for their state. You don’t see foreigners doing that. It takes effort just as it does for the Mexican, the European, the southeast Asian etc… It takes hard work, dedication.
Get over slavery, take personal responsibility for your life and make something of yourself instead of looking for someone else to do it for you.</p>

<p>This is, by fay, one of the funniest threads I have ever read.</p>

<p>Maybe its just me…but I live in NYC and I dont really experience racism (I’m a black female)…at least not to my face. But I can understand what you’re saying. I want to go to Alabama or West VA. and racism is really something that worries me…</p>