In State Students: National Alumni Association Scholarships

<p>The National Alumni Association offers a wonderful scholarship package that is very similar to the NMF scholarships: currently it’s full tuition, an extra $3,500 per year, $300 annual book grant, and an iPad. An average of 7-12 scholarships seem to be given out each year, typically to in state students. (NMF students are generally not considered for this scholarship, I believe.)</p>

<p>Students from Madison County, AL followed by contiguous counties of Jackson, Limestone, Marshall, and Morgan are given priority consideration for a Gowen or Steven Mitchell Crimson Scholarship and must submit a typed one-page narrative statement describing personal financial need. (My daughter wrote hers from the perspective of wanting to graduate debt-free so she can go on to grad school and begin giving back to the community financially immediately upon graduation without having to repay student loans.)</p>

<p>To qualify, students must have 3.8 GPA, 1400 SAT (critical reading and math) or 32 ACT, rank in the top two percent of their high school graduating class, and have extensive leadership.</p>

<p>There is no separate application for these scholarships, but they are awarded by the Alumni Association and not the school itself. If your student qualifies, I recommend scheduling a campus tour through the NAA’s Discovering BAMA program. This way, the NAA will already know your student when it comes time to award scholarships. They’ll arrange a customized tour, including visits with the Honors College.</p>

<p>in order to participate in the tour, you have to have a recommendation from a current member of the NAA. But that’s easy to get: just go to the NAA website, find your local chapter, contact one of the officers, and ask for a recommendation. It took about 2 days for me to secure a recommendation for my D and her best friend. They arranged tours for both on the same day. The girls were practically treated like royalty: they received small gifts (insulated Bama coffee travel mugs), met with professors in their intended majors and in the School of Music (flute and trumpet), met with Honors College staff, were taken to lunch by a student, and were made to feel that UA was truly interested in both of them attending. We scheduled this tour toward the end of their junior year on a Friday; both girls were ready to move to college on the following day!</p>

<p>My D received one of the Steven Mitchell Crimson Scholarships, and I honestly think that could partly be attributed to the fact that the NAA had met her personally during her Discover BAMA tour. The kids who qualify for these scholarships are all highly-deserving kids who most likely look pretty similar to each other on paper. Having made a personal connection is a way to stand out from the others just a bit!</p>

<p>For more info, you can see the NAA’s website: alumni.ua.edu/discovering-BAMA</p>

<p>The National Alumni Association is a wonderful group. My daughter was awarded a 4 year NAA Past Presidents Enrichment Scholarship which covers tuition, honors housing (or a allowance for off campus housing if she chooses to live off campus after this year), her meal plan, a Leadership component, a Supe store credit, and a new Ipad. She also received the Engineering component. Before we knew the total package and all that it entailed, we accepted a small student loan and I started a Bama Plan payment to cover the difference. I received the full amount of the loan back to me in a check 2 days after she confirmed her schedule, and will receive the first half of the Bama Plan back to me in a lump sum check in October. My daughter is in the Honors College and is in the Chemical Engineering Program. She has been on campus for a little over a week and loves it. She understood early in her school days that she had the opportunity to work and earn the blessing of someone else providing the cost of her undergraduate education. We are so proud of her! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>ProudBamaDad: Congratulations to your daughter, looking forward to hearing about all her future accomplishments!!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>The National Alumni Association is a great organization and anyone can make a contribution which will help support these great students.</p>

<p>Wow, I didn’t even know that scholarship existed! Meal plan and leadership component. Hope that leadership component is large enough to cover books and fees so she has a 100% free ride! Edit: forgot about the engineering part.</p>

<p>Maybe she’s being paid to go to college, instead of the other way around. :)</p>

<p>Congratulations to your daughter!!! Way to go!</p>