Incoming Freshman bound for UA/AU

<p>Hello All!
I just wanted to say hello and thank you for such a great resource. I am an incoming freshman from Ohio and have my college choices down to Alabama or Auburn. I am slightly overwhelmed in the grand scheme of things. But don’t really have any questions that come to mind at the moment.
Nevertheless, thanks again for the resource. I am sure you will here from me again in the near future.</p>

<p>Welcome,</p>

<p>Where in Ohio are you from? Intended Major?
My son is headed to UA in the fall, from Cincinnati.
Quite a few Ohioans on here…</p>

<p>Yeah I noticed the trend of Ohioans as well. I am from Fremont (20ish miles west of Cedar Point.) I am intending on studying Mechanical Engineering…
What is your son intending on majoring in?</p>

<p>Ahhh…MechE! One my sons is ChemE</p>

<p>Did you get a scholarship? if so, which one? And did you get the engineering scholarship as well?</p>

<p>Did you visit the campus?</p>

<p>He was talking about ME, then Math, now business/math double major…
in a state of constant flux.</p>

<p>Have you visited the AU, UA campuses?
My son and I toured AU, UA, U ARK, OU, OSU, Clemsen, USC and a bunch of others
we both felt UA was the winner — hands down, a very ‘up and coming’ school
with big plans, lots of cash, and a very positive and optimistic feel. The other schools felt like they were just holding their own, if that.
Although OSU was nice, dinged for the weather and being to close to home.</p>

<p>He’s connected (facebook) with a couple of scholarship engineering students who are engineering majors at UA, attempting to line up roomies.</p>

<p>m2ck: No sadly I did not get a scholarship. :frowning: My stats were 29 ACT and a 3.48 GPA. A scholarship would only sweeten the deal! And yes I actually just got home on Saturday from my trip to AU and UA. I liked both campuses, but the edge went bama. </p>

<p>Sent from my Droid using CC App</p>

<p>Glad to hear that you liked Bama! </p>

<p>Find out if your GC will round up your GPA to a 3.5 and write it on your transcript and send it in. This would have to be for grades 9 - 11.</p>

<p>I think I could get that accomplished… But isn’t it too little, too late to be eligible for a scholarship? I’d be thrilled if I could get something (obviously, haha)</p>

<p>I don’t know if it’s too late or not. It’s worth a try.</p>

<p>^ definitely worth a try! 3.48=3.5 as far as my son’s school is concerned. I can’t see any reasonable guidance counselor not accommodating this esp. if they are aware of the possible $ on the line.</p>

<p>Collegiate Scholar</p>

<p>An out-of-state first-time freshman student … (hope the deadline is not a problem)
who has a 28-29 ACT or 1250-1320 SAT score and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will be selected as a Collegiate Scholar and will receive $3,500 per year ($14,000 over four years). </p>

<p>That’s real money!</p>

<p>Congrats! DD is a second year student in Arts and Science!</p>

<p>We are from Rocky River just outside of Cleveland!</p>

<p>She has enjoyed every minute at Bama; big school fun, awesome Honors programs and so far only one TA who has not spoken english! (If you looked at any Ohio schools you know this is a issue at some of them!)</p>

<p>All of her professors have seemed dedicated to teaching; which I find refreshing.</p>

<p>She has also had opportunities in research. Quite a few Ohio kids; lots from the Cinn area. We have one confirmed (girl); one undecided from Rocky River this year!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>AL34: You’re exactly right about that being real money. </p>

<p>But I think my biggest issue regarding a scholarship is how my application did not become complete until December 26. This is due to my HS undergoing 2 guidance counselor changes within that ever critical 6 week span prior to December 1. As I understand my predicament, and from what I asked while on-campus, I am ineligible for a university scholarship and ineligible for departmental scholarships because both deadlines are the same day. :frowning:
Then I was told that I may be able to file an appeal…
Does anyone think this is a viable option? Would you suggest it given the situation?</p>

<p>omama: That’s great to hear about your daughter’s experience. I also like the research opportunities. But not quite as much as I like the co-op opportunities though.</p>

<p>to quote Napoleon Dynamite - Heck yes I would file an appeal!
What can it hurt? Ask your GC for a letter with your GPA rounded to 3.5, explaining the counselor changes that caused the delay, it’s not like you just decided to apply, you had it in Dec. 26. IMHO I would let them know that you plan on attending UA regardless of any scholarship money, that you visited and loved it and plan on being an asset to the college etc. I assume you’re in the Honors College? mention that too… Seriously, how can it hurt?
Copy to scholarship people, copy to Jami Gates in the Honors College as well…</p>

<p>Of course just my opinion, but you should at least try, you’ll always wonder what might have happened.</p>

<p>Yes, you should appeal. And have your GC resend your transcript with your GPA rounded to a 3.5 and have her include a note about the counselor changes prior to Dec1 that caused the problems.</p>

<p>Ohio2Alabama</p>

<p>Can you expound upon the Co-op opportunities? I haven’t heard about these.</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>Also…if you can get your GC to state that your GPA is a 3.5 and Bama accepts that, you’ll get a university scholarship and an engineering scholarship. So, about $5k total per year.</p>

<p>Update time.
My apologies for not keeping this thread current, but here it goes.
First and foremost I’d like to say that I have decided to attend The Capstone, so ROLL-TIDE!
Regarding my attempt at filing an appeal. I was unaware that to be scholarship eligible, one had to have been accepted by December 1st. I was under the impression that as long as you had applied by the 1st you would be eligible. So I have basically abandoned that idea (sadly).
Freshman deposit is submitted, and housing has been applied for.
Now I’m debating on where I want to live and to look for a roommate.
I’d like to thank everyone again for their help! I’m sure I’ll have more questions.
Oh and, Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Welcome and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Hope you enjoy your college years here at the Capstone! :)</p>

<p>Ohio2Alabama – If you haven’t already: Please, please talk to Betsy Escher in UA Scholarships. That December 1 deadline seems to be pretty flexible. First, they moved it to Dec. 4 because of the number of applicants. And later it turned out that some scholarships were still available months after the Dec. deadline. Don’t give up!! :D</p>