Incoming Student Worried About Quant Placement Exam

Hello everybody! Happy almost May 1st. I just committed to Williams, and I am super excited!

I know it might be silly, but I am a little worried about the quant placement exam. For reference, I fully intend to major in a humanities major (English/philosophy), but I have done fairly well in math courses. I took AP Calc AB in junior year, and I got a decent grade in it, but I am now taking AP Stats. I am a bit rusty with calculus, and math isn’t my strongest subject. I had to work really had for the Calc AB grade.

I know that if you do not “pass” the quant exam then you would have to take Math 102, but I’m scared of embarrassing myself or feeling “less smart” because of my math skills. I am worried that I would be the only one in my freshman class that will be required to take it. This is stressing me out a bit. Has anyone taken the quant exam? Is it difficult (what does it cover)? Has anyone taken Math 102 to serve as the foundation?

Thank you!

https://www.williams.edu/quantitative-skills-programs/wqlra/ says that " The WQLRA asks students to use arithmetic, algebra, graph reading, geometry, and linear modeling to solve 30 problems including 25 from a nationally-normed assessment instrument. "

Quantitative Skills Assessment Test is an old thread about the test.

Philosophy majors may need to exercise logical thinking that is math adjacent.

I’m scared of embarrassing myself or feeling “less smart” because of my math skills. I am worried that I would be the only one in my freshman class that will be required to take it.

I’d be scared of taking a class I wasn’t ready for. I’d be glad I was placed here if I was. I mean, you got into Williams so the last thing you should be is embarrassed or feel inferior. And I highly doubt one would be the only first year in a class or they wouldn’t even have the placement test.

Don’t be nervous before college. You worked hard to get there. You are clearly deserving. You will be fine.

Go forth and enjoy.

1 Like

Hey. What is that quant test about? My DS23 is also joining Williams in the fall and he doesn’t even know what test you are talking about! As others said you got in to W for a reason so I wouldn’t worry and you should place into whatever the right math course is for you-