Indiana University - Bloomington Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Please see the following

It appears that one can only petition to the IU Media School for direct admission upon being admitted to IU. This is unlike the Kelley School of Business. I would recommend you research this more on your own and also reach out to the Undergrad Admissions Office.

1 Like

My daughter is arts and sciences and well above directed admit criteria with a 32 ACT and GPA 4.0 so I was also surprised to see “university division pre arts and sciences”. She wrote to her admission contact for our region and was told that the IU colleges should release the direct admit information in the next month so likely she won’t need to petition and they said if she doesn’t see the direct admit info she can ask for a review.

My son got admitted yesterday! It says “university div pre-business”
Assuming they passed his acceptance along to Kelly for review?
How long does it typically wait to hear from Kelly?

Any tips on completing the Kelly appeal? We need to do it. Thanks!

2 Likes

If you don’t meet the Kelley direct admit criteria (3.8 GPA, w or uw, highest GPA on transcript and 30 ACT/1370 SAT), you must file the petition found in the portal. IU will not do anything until you file that petition.

If you do meet the direct admit criteria, Kelley admission should follow initial IU admission notice within 4 weeks (based on previous years).

2 Likes

In addition to what @Mwfan1921 has outlined, Kelley will only look at the highest cumulative GPA (UW or W) mentioned on the transcript. Kelley does not recalculate the GPA. So if your UW GPA is 3.7 and W GPA is 4.1, but the HS does not report this on the transcript, you need to petition. Also, there is no rounding off that is done and so a 3.79 remains a 3.79 for which a petition is required. If these direct admit criteria are met, no petition is required.

Thank you for the link. It does look like I need to wait. Would it be a good idea to reach out to my regional admissions person to be sure? Or not? Congratulations to your daughter, it sounds like everyone admitted starts in the university division. It doesn’t seem like she would need to petition for A &S and good luck to your son getting into Kelley.

I advised my daughter to wait to hear from the Media School. Waiting 6 weeks still gives her plenty of time to submit a petition, if needed.

I would highly recommend you reach out to your regional admissions person to be sure. As we are discovering, each college at IU has a different petition requirement for direct admission.

Did anyone hear today?

I think it’s been closer to 4:30/5:00 when they come out. I think that’s how Tuesday was and previous years.

1 Like

We received Application complete email today. How long does it take for a decision?

They just started releasing some acceptances on Tuesday. I know from reading past threads like last year and year before, once they start releasing acceptances it appears to be 3-4 weeks from those who have posted in past. The ones they releasing this week are ones I assume applied back in late August /early September.

Thank you @Pinkmama100

My daughter got admitted to IU last night. Out of state (from MN). I am sure Kelley will follow since she meets all the criteria for direct admit. She has got into Carlson school of Management, University of MN and more than likely to go there (in-state). She is not sure on the major, applied with Accounting but will switch to Finance/MIS
 Does Kelley allow to switch majors? (from Accounting to Finance) if accepted
Good luck to all!!

4 Likes

Congratulations to your daughter! When did she submit her app to IU?

Thanks. 9/21.

3 Likes

Congrats! Change in majors within Kelley is a simple process, I believe.

Congrats!! Is 9/21 the submission date or the completion date?

9/21 applied (submission date)
 not sure what you mean by completion date? we applied that day with everything required.
10/20 admitted to IU email

1 Like

Completion meaning the day you got the email that the application was complete (when the school submitted transcript and letters, etc)

3 Likes