Indiana University - Bloomington Early Action for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying ED to Indiana University.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

1 Like

Daughter applied on 9/18 via the common app. OOS, GPA 4.3W/3.98UW, SAT 1480, 7APs, Marketing major. Should be Kelley DA. Fingers crossed.

Son applied 9/18. Stats qualify him for direct admit to Kelley, but the school does not print the GPA on the transcript, so I suspect he will be bumped for review. I will appreciate knowing when others hear back.

When we visited IU and Kelley they indicated the school is not doing rolling admissions anymore but batching decisions which if memory serves was first batch in November. I do not think anything triggers review - you trigger review as I understand the process by a request. If you don’t qualify direct admit you don’t qualify. I cannot imagine GPA not printed on transcript is a problem, you note your GPA on the app they can do the math if need be.

Kelley will review the highest GPA on your transcripts which will have been submitted as part of the IU application process. Here is that information directly from their website on how to qualify for Direct Entry:

Step 2: Meet GPA and test score criteria

There are two key academic requirements that you must meet for direct admission. You must have:

• Earned the required test score:
    • a composite ACT score of at least 30, or
    • an SAT score of at least 1370 (Evidence-Based Reading & Writing and Math)
  • Earned a cumulative GPA of 3.8 on a 4.0 scale from a single high school. We will use the highest GPA that is sent to IU Admissions from your official high school transcript. In most cases this is the weighted GPA.

If your record does not meet the criteria above or you wish to apply under test-optional guidelines, you will need to request review through our website to be considered for Kelley direct admission.

S24 applied to Eskenasi on 9/13 but I know that school needs to catch up with transcript and recs. He has the GPA for direct admit and possibly honors college. We toured the campus recently and were very impressed.

When you say, first batch in November, do you mean the release of the first acceptances is in November (for kids who applied August-early October)? According to these boards, last year (and prior years) IU acceptances started coming out weekly in mid-October. And then Kelley direct admit notices came out several weeks after that.
I believe Kelley is changing the timing/way of notifying for direct admit on stats. The website says Kelly direct admit will be stated in the admissions decision. So maybe IU/Kelley has switched to one later notice that includes both, which prevents the unnecessary confusion a lot of people had about whether they should submit a petition “just in case”.

I only know what IU Kelley told us at the Young Women’s Institute - that IU had shifted from rolling admits as you noted to more of an Early Action concept reviewing and releasing admissions in batches and the first batch was to be expected in November. They said this was to provide University Admissions and then Kelley Admissions a little gap rather than constant review. Kelley Admissions was pretty clear that you would hear first from the University then the Kelley school a few weeks later if you were direct admit and maybe longer as a non-direct admit. There should be pretty limited reasons to request review “just in case” it’s a pretty bright line concept but I guess I get the stress. Kelley admissions described having the GPA and SAT as a 100% admissions rate, they don’t look at anything else.

Wrong terminology - “direct admit” meaning automatic admit. “non-direct” meaning applying via request for review. You can also just take business classes and apply after frosh year I believe based solely on GPA in those classes. You won’t necessarily hear in November if you apply before then - I don’t know how they were batching decisions just to be clear. Only that they said they are releasing decisions in pre-defined times. The main urgency they expressed to early admissions was the JLLC housing not early access to merit or any other reason.

Is JLLC only open to those admited EA? Or does it fill up before RD kids can apply?

1 Like

I suspect it depends on how many people apply to live in the JLLC and when. I don’t even know when they start taking applications for JLLC. It was just the one point IU Kelley made about applying early, which means Nov 1. My take from the admissions presentation was there is a lot of stress from parents/students about being first in line for admits and merit and IU Kelley was trying to moderate that by stressing apply by Nov 1 we won’t be admitting before then. And the admissions person could have been mistaken or misspoke so again I only know what they told us in late July.

Thanks! That is all super helpful!

I can confirm this change. We were at an info session on campus two weeks ago, and the AO said that direct admission and honors will be offered at time of admission. She said that may lengthen the process but it is meant to simplify the students’ options.

1 Like

We visited IU a year ago with DS24 … so I’m trying to figure out what is new and different (as opposed to what I didn’t even think about a year ago). I was aware of Hutton Honors but didn’t look into the admissions process before. According to the website, direct admit for Hutton requires 4.0 and 1500+ on SAT. Is that new? I felt like everyone we met at our info sessions and tours was in Hutton (or ACE–which I have heard is even more competitive). Did anyone at the info session talk about Hutton petition process?
@jefrobertson did this come up at Kelley YWI?
Thank you both!

Many different concepts in your message and just for clarity I outline these. All this did come up yes at YWI. “Direct Admit” I mess up a lot when talking with our daughter on IU - but you mean I think “auto admit.” There was much confusion among parents trying to understand IU the University may do something and Kelley may do something separate.

1. Hutton is the IU general honors. You either auto admit by stats or if you apply by Nov 1 the University considers you for Hutton - no petition exists at that time. If you don’t get admitted to Hutton by Feb 1 (or didn’t apply EA) you can then petition. The auto admit stats are higher than they used to be but auto admit is not new - Kelley also raised the stats. Hutton has zero to do with Kelley.

2. Kelley has its own honors which I think is something that happens your frosh year of Kelley.

3. Then ACE is a Kelley thing that a very small amount of students are admitted to again they did not reference a petition here. Small meaning like 3-4% of students at Kelley which means like 100. Then you move into IU Kelley Honors automatically.

My son applied on Wednesday for Indiana and has not received the portal information yet. How long did it take your kids to get the portal? TIA

About a week.

1 Like

If you are a direct admit to CAS, does that basically guarantee you a higher chance of getting into IU in general?

No, the admissions concepts are completely separate. The statistics required for auto direct admit to CAS would give someone a very good chance of admissions to IU based on the common data set for IU.

2 Likes