Interesting Transfer Case, What do you think?

<p>This is going to be a quick brief, but please read and let me know your opinion!</p>

<p>Okay so in high school I was a year ahead in math and science (last science class Physics 2), took 4 AP tests and got all 4's and 5's, maintained a GPA of about 3.75, did a ton of extracurriculars in music, took all honors or AP english courses, 2 years of a Foreign language, 29 on the ACT. I was a good student, not spectacular but good. When it came time to apply for college I applied to about 6 schools and got into most, but my decision was down to 2. UW Madison or UW Eau Claire. When it comes to academics the choice is obvious, Madison right? Well... I was confident I wanted to be a music major and Eau Claire has a stronger music program so I headed there.... I finish my first semester with all music and music theory courses as well as Japanese 101 with a GPA of 3.88. Then at winter break it hits me, this is not what I want to do for the rest of college/life etc! I want the academic side, science, grad schools, research etc, so I switch my classes in spring semester to a biology course, Math, the next level of Japanese etc and reapply to the obvious academic school of choice Madison.</p>

<p>So what do you think my chances are of getting in as a transfer? I had a stellar GPA made it in out of high school, and meet all the basic reqs, but I was a music major and am now attempting to switch schools and majors at the same time. As they say on this site... Chance me. Thanks for your time!</p>

<p>The bottom line with transferring is your college GPA (in courses of appropriate rigor, but since you’re at a UW System school and you aren’t taking remedial courses you’re fine there). Though you should have a couple of letters of recommendation in addition to a good personal statement, your GPA is the biggest factor. Your high school GPA and SAT/ACT scores don’t matter.</p>

<p>The average transfer GPA is 3.4, so if you follow your strong first semester with something even somewhat close you should be good to go.</p>

<p>p.s. Does Eau Claire really have a stronger music program? I’m really just curious, since at first glance UW-Madison would seem to be the obvious chance, with its famous marching band being a good symbolic and literal example.</p>

<p>I sent two letters of Rec, and plan on getting good grades so I should be good to go in that respect…</p>

<p>As for the music Q, UWEC does indeed have a stronger program, depending on your instrument profs here have toured with Frank Sinatra, Buddy Rich, etc the school has 5 jazz ensembles, some of which nominated for grammy’s. The Madison marching band is indeed top of the line, but there aren’t many careers in marching (or music in general i suppose)!</p>

<p>bump, any more thoughts???</p>

<p>Get your transfer app materials in by the deadline. Nothing else for posters to add. Doubt the caliber of UW-EC trumps UW-Madison, even for the music major.</p>