Is a college's racial/ethnic composition an unstated overriding factor for many people?

@GMTplus7 my bad, I missed that–at the graduate level, especially in professional schools, black woman occupy about 70% of the seats in the AA community.

32 and #34

Wow. (SMH)

@GMTplus7 I think grutter said it best

" The policy aspires to “achieve that diversity which has the potential to enrich everyone’s education and thus make a law school class stronger than the sum of its parts.” Id., at 118. The policy does not restrict the types of diversity contributions eligible for “substantial weight” in the admissions process, but instead recognizes “many possible bases for diversity admissions.” Id., at 118, 120. The policy does, however, reaffirm the Law School’s longstanding commitment to “one particular type of diversity,” that is, “racial and ethnic diversity with special reference to the inclusion of students from groups which have been historically discriminated against, like African-Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans, who without this commitment might not be represented in our student body in meaningful numbers.” Id., at 120. By enrolling a " ‘critical mass’ of [underrepresented] minority students," the Law School seeks to “ensur[e] their ability to make unique contributions to the character of the Law School.” Id., at 120-121."

It is code speak for a diverse ethnic and gender distribution. They felt it was a better learning environment. Many kids have been excluded from the STEM fields because of their race or gender because of past policies. It is sort of amazing that 50 per cent of MDs coming out of medical school are women yet 40 years ago it hovered around 10 per cent

“Stanford undergrads are 40% white. Do you notice hesitation by white students with respect to applying there?”

Nope. But it’s one of a handful of such campuses, isn’t it? And are they all in California and Florida? I said that we could practically count the number of schools on one hand, not that such schools don’t exist. And as at USC, white students are still a clear plurality at Stanford. They’re the largest group and constitute roughly half of the US citizens in the college.

“Wow. (SMH)”

Care to explain which false statements justify your hate?

My “hate”?? Not hate, just dismay that you think it is a self-evident truth that whites always recoil when there are too many blacks out and about. I think you need to calm down.

Hmmn, is that why I have been doing these many years on campus, been “out and about?” I rather like the sound of that…

@zekesima, it is eminently clear that the person who need to calm down here is you.

So, to get back to my original question, is it a comparatively recent phenomenon that up to 10% of Howard students might be non-black?

<“Stanford undergrads are 40% white. Do you notice hesitation by white students with respect to applying there?”
Nope. But it’s one of a handful of such campuses, isn’t it? >

Actually, it is an issue for many. Not only white kids have issue with it. Big issue. Not the number itself, but the fact that Stanford is so proud of it. As if it’s a major achievement. I know many alumni who got irked when Stanford announced it in the press release. Again, it is not the number itself. Berkeley has even less white students, but it doesn’t irk anyone. Stanford … should find some other metric to be proud.

@mainebh,

Actually, in Fisher vs UT, SCOTUS spent quite a bit of time debating the definition of Grutter’s “critical mass”. The state of New Mexico is 2.5% black (U.S. overall is 12.5% black). So, if a school in NM enrolls 3% black students , is that a critical mass? Or does critical mass in your book mean proportional to overall US demographics?

<or does="" critical="" mass="" in="" your="" book="" mean="" proportional="" to="" overall="" us="" demographics?="">

Why US? Why not the world demographic? All colleges like to talk global … Plus, international students count towards “minorities” regardless of citizenship … Part of the Stanford profoundness in “less than 50% white” comes from Chinese internationals.

Hmmmn, isn’t critical mass the sufficient number of adopters of an innovation in a social model ,so it becomes self-sustaining and stimulates further growth. So, for New Mexico–a half percent is not going to create societal momentum.

@T26E4. Yes, I am white and I know people who attended HBCUs. I suppose that was a rhetorical question, but seriously…

As for applying, I understand kids from my son’s high school apply to the HBCU but I don’t know what racial/ethnic groups they fall into. Could be any combination because the school is pretty diverse. Students are mostly from immigrant families, and are seeking good opportunities wherever they may be found.

And would I be thrilled if he wanted to go to Howard? If Howard had a fantastic engineering school, I would ask myself, is it a tolerant and accepting campus? And if so, then we would have visited, and he would have decided whether it was right for him. But as it was, he applied to more selective engineering schools and has options which are fine if not thrilling.

I think that a school with a reputation for tolerance and even more, being welcoming to all types of people, is important (in addition to the rigor and quality of the education of course).

As for Hanna’s statement, I just don’t think that it really representative of the people I know in NYC. You don’t have to believe me if you don’t want to, but the people I know are not freaked out about being in the minority, and being around people of other races/ethnicities, etc. If you live in a big city, that is the norm. And that will be the norm for the rest of the US, one of these days.

Do non race-X applicants applying to UMich seriously pause to think, I’m not going to consider UMich because there’s not a critical mass of race-X to “create societal momentum”?

@nycparent12,

But are most of these people also willing to date outside their racial pool? That’s the uncomfortable issue.
http://qz.com/149342/the-uncomfortable-racial-preferences-revealed-by-online-dating/

@GMTplus7 What is your point? What are you trying to say? That you are perfectly happy with a school that is not diverse? You feel there is nothing that can be learned from a diverse student body and everything is just really a bunch of formulas to learn?

Could someone, please, explain me why a Black kid, adopted by a white couple, is an innovation in a social model, but his Asian brother, adopted by the same couple is "not interesting from diversity perspective"?

IMHO. The only real reason for “diversity” is that colleges look good on racial and ethnic data submitted to U. S. Department of Education. Only reason. IMHO.

@@nycparent12 Sorry to mention the obvious, but some races are more sensitive about dating outside their race, than the others. Long time ago (in a galaxy far away) it was called racism.

@mainebh,

I think diversity of viewpoints is EXTREMELY Important for an educational experience. I just don’t racially stereotype people the way u do and equate race with diversity of viewpoint.

I can’t speak for those people. On the other hand, I know people that choose to not go to New Mexico as it was thought as being too diverse. Large Latino and Native American populations…

The “only reason”…I find that hard to believe…