Is a Commit shared with other schools?

I was not accepted to my #1 choice (UM), so I’ve been struggling with 3 other acceptances. I’m 90% sure I am ready to commit to School #2, but the next opportunity to visit campus again is April 11. I want to commit so that I can move my financial aid and housing forward, but I still feel anxiety like supposing it’s not the right choice? If I send in the Commit $$, does this become general knowledge? Will the other schools find out I’ve committed somewhere? One reason for possibly holding on to my other options is Schools 3 and 4 may offer more $$.

Ypu don’t need to commit until April 30. What is the rush. Just wait until after you visit on April 11.

It’s implied that financial aid and housing will be first secured to committed students

Are you talking about University of Michigan? If so, this might be better placed on that forum here.

Are you instate? If so, the pledge to meet full need for instate students. If not…all bets are off anyway.

I’m guessing there will still be ample housing by April 12…after your visit. And really, you should have your financial aid package by then.

Oops. I see that you didn’t get accepted to UM (Miami).

My other parts to my response still hold. Go visit again. By April 11, you should have your financial aid packages. Can you really commit to a place without knowing your net cost?

@goodgegoodge-If you commit to one college, other schools will not find out about it. So your commitment it will not affect pending admission decisions or aid offers. However, if you’ve enrolled at College A and then decide to switch to College B, you must withdraw from A. It is unethical to double-deposit. Some students do get away with it, of course … at least for a while. But when your school year ends, your guidance counselor will have to send a Final Report to the college you plan to attend. The counselor knows not to send more than one report. So if you have double-deposited, it will come to light then. And if for some reason it comes to light sooner–as unlikely as that is–it’s possible that BOTH colleges will withdraw their offer, if they were to find out that you’ve submitted two deposits.

Meanwhile, however, if you’re eager to enroll somewhere and move along in the process, don’t worry that it will affect other outcomes. According to National Association for College Admission Counseling guidelines, your ENROLLMENT deposit is refundable until May 1 (although some students fight uphill battles with colleges when they try to get a refund). Housing deposits, on the other hand, may NOT be refundable (though in theory they SHOULD be). So if you send in money and change your mind, you may find it’s a hassle to get the money back and you may not even succeed.