Is anybody but me fearing a last-minute change of mind?

<p>Slippy…</p>

<p>What’s going on?</p>

<p>He may be concerned about that add’l costs of SLU and the impact to family, younger sibling(s), etc.</p>

<p>Good Luck Slippy! I know that this is tough to go through. It’s a good sign that he is understanding the economic impact of his decisions on him and you though!</p>

<p>I will add that what sparked all of this was the “official” letter from UA laying out all of the details of his NMF scholarship. It was pretty impressive, and the timing was impeccable.</p>

<p>have you pulled your deposits from UA yet or did you decide to wait to do that?</p>

<p>No. We have until June 1 on our housing deposit. The enrollment deposit is nonrefundable. </p>

<p>He picks his room on April 19, so I expect a decision soon. (praying)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>FWIW, we took the opposite tact with our son. Once we, as parents, realized UA would meet his needs (as opposed to his wants), we were unwilling to make further financial sacrifices in order to indulge him. As it turned out, "Bama has more than met his wants, something he had difficulty anticipating through the filter of youthful eyes.</p>

<p>Even if it hadn’t, however, he still would have learned a valuable life lesson about making the best of what you have and giving back to the family who supported him mightily for 18 years. It’s the Rolling Stones philosophy of life: “You can’t always get what you want but if you try sometime you just might find you get what you need.”</p>

<p>That said, what others decide to do is their call, of course, and I wish you the best of luck, slippy, in this difficult journey.</p>

<p>My DS was received “the big envelope” from his “reach” school. I wondered what his reaction would be, but after about a 30 second pause he said something like, “It good that I was accepted, but I’m still going to Alabama!”</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Roll Tide! </p>

<p>Congrats to your son…it’s still good to know that you got into your reach.</p>

<p>Slippy an idea that was posted here on CC at some time in the recent past was to go to Bama as a first year student…if it doesn’t work out, then transfer to the other school that way you aren’t losing the “recruitment” type scholarships athough that may not work if the other school has entering freshman recrutiment type monies also :)</p>

<p>I happen to agree with Malanai on the parenting part …good luck!</p>

<p>^that. even though my daughter wanted to go to alabama, she had a really hard time choosing between two schools. UA with a nce scholarship and the other school with none. our thinking was that you can go to UA and change you mind and then go to the other school, but you can’t do the opposite. the scholarship ship will have sailed and UA will be off the table. </p>

<p>of course, she is still at UA, but the transfer option was there.</p>

<p>I feel for you, Slippy! Your son probably feels the weight of the world on his shoulders as he tries to make this decision. I’m somewhat embarrassed to admit that my D still has 10 decisions outstanding. 10. What were we thinking? Well, we were thinking that she would go to a highly selective school that would be difficult to get into so she should apply to quite a few. I’ll never regret the time we spent traveling and visiting schools, but could have done without all the app and test score fees! Who would guess that she’d fall in love with the school that offers the best financial help…and the school that she flat refused to apply to a year ago! </p>

<p>But back to the parenting thing that Malanai mentioned, we do have a S who <em>had</em> a scholarship at his school of choice. He lost the scholarship after his sophomore year due to their GPA requirement. He have made him take out a student loan to replace the scholarship that he lost. He’s never been the academic student that his sister is, but the GPA requirement was very doable. Fraternity life just got in the way.</p>

<p>Soon, Slippy, this will all be behind you!</p>

<p>10 decisions outstanding? A neighbor graduated last year, applied to 18 schools. Got into all of them. Imagine making that choice.</p>