Is Gateway worth it?

Hey everyone,
I’ve recently been accepted to Tech as a Political Science major and I’m so excited! I just received an invitation to the Gateway day for admitted students from “underrepresented groups” (i.e. Hispanic, black, Native American, or first-generation students). Does anyone here have any experience with Gateway? If so, what was it like, and do you think it’s worth the 4-hour drive?

Thanks in advance!

Virginia Tech has a commitment to diversity and inclusion for all. However, there is a small percentage of minorities, hence the word under represented groups. If you are interested in meeting others from those backgrounds and learning about the experience from that perspective it would be worth it.

Also, most students at Virginia Tech come from 4 hours away :p.

@undercover007 Yeah, I haven’t seen many Hispanic students in the admitted group chat so far so I think Gateway could be an awesome opportunity to meet other students like me! (And I didn’t even think about how Tech is further away for most people than it is for me, haha, oops! :)) ) Thanks for responding! :slight_smile:

@undercover007 I’m doing gateway myself from the hampton area. Hope to see you there!

@Vageta17 I’ll see you there!

I’m a Nepali (Asian) first generation college student that just got accepted to VT would I be invited to gateway? I haven’t received any email or anything

@Kpanther you should be.

@Kpanther Gateway has stated on Twitter that another wave of invitations should be coming out next week.

Ill be doing gateway! I am from roanoke, hope to see you there! Also, what groupchat? I need to find a roommate! :slight_smile:

@sellerslynn You’ll have to join the Virginia Tech Class of 2022 Facebook page first to find it, but once you do, if you scroll down far enough there should be a link to join a Groupme called "Virginia Tech Class of 2022"or something like that. :slight_smile: See you there!