Is Hampshire a reach for me?

<p>Hi, I'm a current senior in an international school and I'm in the process of finishing my application for Hampshire College (regular decision). An overview of my "stats" is as follows:</p>

<p>Cumulative GPA: 3.5 UW (my school doesn't have weighted GPAs)
Ranking: Top 20% (but we don't have official high school rankings)
SATs: I'm not sending my scores
TOEFL iBT: 111 (out of 120)</p>

<p>Academics: I'm a full IB Diploma candidate
English A1 HL | Economics HL | Visual Arts HL
Chemistry SL | Mandarin Ab initio | Math Studies SL </p>

<p>Last year, I got a 3.75 gpa, which was a big improvement from my 3.25 sophomore gpa (Between 9th and 10th grade, I transferred from a small suburban school in the Philippines to an international school). This year, I have all As in my HL classes and Bs in my SL classes (about 3.6 gpa)</p>

<p>ECs: writer for school newspaper and magazine (9th, 11th, 12th); literary arts magazine staff (11th, 12th); English teacher at a Vietnamese children's shelter (10th, 11th); Arts and Craft Teacher (11th); Tennis (11th, 12th); Conducted my own storytelling project for less fortunate kids at my local community in the Philippines (fall break of 11th grade); and other small-scale activities for CAS </p>

<p>Awards: Oustanding feature write; High honor roll; honor roll</p>

<p>Recommendations and essays: I'm pretty confident about my teacher rec and I'm still halfway through my common app essay.
Plans: I want to major in Communications/Media studies but I also want to take classes in literature and maybe economics (I want to design my own track for advertising). I am also applying for financial aid. Is Hampshire a reach?</p>

<p>A full IB diploma demonstrates that you took a rigorous course of study in high school. If you end up with >3.5 GPA, great recommendations and outstanding application essays, I should think that Hampshire will not be a reach.</p>

<p>Thanks, @ALF. I’ll try my best to keep my GPA up, at least to a 3.75.</p>

<p>Anyone else? Your comments would be very much appreciated! :)</p>

<p>I agree with ALF. Good luck!</p>

<p>Greetings,</p>

<p>I’m currently a freshman at Reed College and I’m considering transferring to Hampshire. I’m applying for the fall 2012 semester and I’m kind of concerned about my first semester grades affecting my application–I ended up getting mono and strep throat for the last portion of this past semester, missed about 3 weeks of classes and, accordingly, didn’t do incredibly well on the last few tests. The beginning of the semester was good, but a bit shaky with transitioning and all of that, but I got to where I wanted to be (or around where I’d like to be) academically just before I got sick. </p>

<p>So, I’m just kind of wary that, although I did well in high school (5th in my public school class, lots of EC’s, volunteer hours, almost broke 2000 on the SAT’s, above 700’s on 2 subject tests, etc.), the application committee may doubt my abilities because of my first semester grades and they won’t see much, if any of, my second semester stuff. </p>

<p>Anyone able to shed some light?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Were the grades at least a C? That is the expectation for transfer credits. </p>

<p>I would say the best thing would be to approach the admissions director for your region (you can find this out on the website) ASAP–make the personal connection and explain your situation. In fact, it probably wouldn’t hurt to contact both your home state person and David Wagner (the regional director for Oregon) just to make sure they both know about you. </p>

<p>The reason I say ASAP is it’s going to get busy very quickly. My D was in touch with the regional rep many times between August and her ED decision. They really forged a relationship, and time (and followup) played a big role in that. If you are serious about transferring, I recommend emailing now (while they’re on vacation) and following up with a phone call in early January. </p>

<p>You should review Hampshire’s general policy about admitting transfers: I believe they must start as third semester Div I’s or beginning Div II’s so it’s important to see where your courses fall on their distribution chart.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I’d imagine that they’re no lower than a C.</p>

<p>Great, thanks so much!</p>