Is IB Spanish SL basically the equivalent of regular Spanish 4?

<p>I was originally supposed to take AP Spanish this year, but the teacher has now emailed me at the last minute saying that the class will not offered for juniors this year. Therefore, I have the option of taking IB Spanish SL or Spanish 4 instead. I would prefer to take IB Spanish since I am in pursuit of an IB diploma, but I'm just wondering if there's any differences between the courses or if they're basically the equivalent of each other.</p>

<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)</p>

<p>Basically. IB Spanish SL is a two year course that is simply Spanish 4 and 5. There basically the same, but IB Spanish incorporates more of the IB curriculum. (more orals and more of a focus on Spanish culture).</p>

<p>I took SL Spanish my junior year, after already taking four years of Pre-IB/MYP Spanish (7th-10th grade, thanks to my school being a combination Jr/Sr high school), so I’d guess it’d depend on what setup your school has. Most of it was review of grammar concepts, introducing new vocab as well as bringing in new vocab, sharpening reading comprehension, etc. </p>

<p>The emphasis on reading and writing was probably the thing that distinguished SL Spanish from my previous Spanish classes. Dunno if it’d be the same in Spanish 4, but I’d look at it in the sense the teacher in there could do just vocab if they wanted, whereas the IB has more stringent requirements and demands.</p>

<p>(If nothing else, IB Spanish will look nicer on the transcript. ;D)</p>

<p>I’m getting the impression IB Spanish SL may be slightly more rigorous, which is fine. In addition, it will look better on a transcript as the person above me said.</p>

<p>So it looks like I will definitely be going with the IB route. Thanks for the all help, guys! :)</p>