Is IB worth it?

So i joined the IB Diploma Programme having formerly been a full AP student, i feel that AP is more detailed but don’t know if I should go back to AP as my teachers for IB are very nice. Please do help, anything works.

Go with the better teachers. IB is as rigorous as AP, in most cases, but often the better teachers at a school get selected to do the IB courses (and often the AP courses). What’s the situation in your school?

Both of them are very nice and accomadating, that’s mostly why this is a problem, i can’t choose between the two.

I don’t know what AP is in detail, but it I’ve heard that the AP gives you more credits in college. Maybe check what your prospective university thinks about this. As a former IB student… the IB is a dread xP The essays are a dread. You basically have write an essay in math to graduate. On one hand, it’s an interesting experience and gives you a leg up in writing lab reports and other academic writing. On the other, you might hate it if you are not into it and you can as well learn that in college, as it’s not as difficult and universities seem to have lower standards than the IB for writing. Also, the IB forces you to take a broad range of subjects, and 6 of them: English (literature, and I’m assuming you’re from the USA or at least attend an English-speaking school, given that you can take AP), a foreign language, a social subject, a natural science subject, and mathematics. The sixth subject is either art or a subject from another group of your choice. Unless you’re going for a certificate, ie if you want to get a diploma, of course. You might want to consider whether you are willing to take courses that are oitside your area of interest. For example, if you were into science, if you want to take Higher Level math, physics and chemistry, and three Standard Level humanities, instead of taking this time to take a course in biology or computer science. Also, a factor to consider is that the IB is very time consuming and if you want a diploma, so take all the six subjects, it may be difficult to find time for SATs, looking at my friends who took SATs alongside the IBDP. But you can always take a gap year afterwards. I would quite honestly recommend a gap year after the IB, it’s so exhausting. Not even the material itself, all the written work. Take a look at the written work, it’s in every subject. The bulk of it is immense. Oh, I forgot to mention the Extended Essay :smiley: That’s another big piece of writing you have to complete extra to get the diploma. And you’ve got two other Core requirements: Theory of Knowledge (essays again) and Creativity Action Service ( easy if you have interests and do some sport, the only difficult bit is Service - charity work)

So AP gets more credits? AP is like IB HL created by the College Board.

What are you planning to major in? What HLs will you take?

Literature, french, history

I think IB is especially good for subjects like these. You could probably pass the AP tests for these subjects even if you do IB.

Yeah, the IB is good for essay writing. You just have to struggle through with some math and bio/chem/physics.

I’m trying to major in economics and chemistry with minor in entrepreneurship.

Chemistry? With no math or science at HL? How?

Does your school offer IB Econ and IB chem? Does it offer AP Econ and AP Chem?

I don’t think I does have the IB Economics, and the courses weren’t selected by me, they were a close approximation to the ap classes I was taking.

IB sometimes gives you extra credits for the diploma

For example at SUNY Binghamton you can get up to a years worth of credits for the IB Diploma:

Students in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program may receive up to 32 credits. To receive the full 32 credits, the following conditions must be met:

The IB Diploma must be completed with a score of 30 or more points; and
The student must complete at least three Higher Level exams with a score of 5 or higher.
Diploma holders who meet these conditions receive credit for their individual exam scores plus additional liberal arts elective credit to total 32 credits.