IB- is it worth it?

My school only offers the IB diploma programme for students in grades 11-12. Although the courses are known for being much more difficult, and the program as a whole is known for being much more rigorous, I’ve heard that it’ll all receive the same recognition as someone who has taken all APs for two years. Are AP and IB seen as the same to colleges? If there is a difference, would it be in my favor to grind through IB rather than work with APs?

IB prepares you really well for college and its one tough experience. Most colleges really value it due to its academic rigor. I am an IB student and am glad I took it.

Personally, I think the IBD program provides the best intellectual prep for college there is. But there are caveats, and they are the reasons very capable students might not pursue the diploma itself but pick and choose classes from the IB and AP curriculum. These include a desire to “load up” on sciences, an aversion to foreign language study, or the course offerings at your school. (For example, maybe your school offers Psych or Econ only as AP options and you want to take those.)

As for your question, in the application process, most schools view them in a similar light, which is to say that you chose the most rigor offered. If you are applying to college outside the U.S., IB is of course more valuable, but that isn’t the situation for most students on CC.

After you’ve been admitted, it varies by school, but many colleges are very generous with credit for the diploma, giving a full year’s placement. This saves money and can be helpful if you are planning to attend grad school (are embarking on a long educational journey ) or if there is something you want to do during college that doesn’t offer credit.

On the other hand, if you are looking for credit for courses (certificate ) rather than the diploma, it’s easier to do that through AP because most schools give credit only for HL exams. There are several SL classes that are comparable to AP, but you won’t get credit for these, even with 7s.

I would decide between the two based on my ideal course plans for the next two years. If doing the IBD results in a lot of sacrifice, it may not be your best choice. If it aligns more or less, I would advise that you do it.

Honestly the IBDP is incredibly hard and will make you work a lot harder than AP will (CAS, EEs, IAs, TOK, etc. are super annoying). I’m not sure what colleges think of IB vs. AP, but I’d think they give equal weight to them. If I were you, I’d skip the IBDP and go for APs or IB certificates.

I am currently a senior in the IBDP. It is extremely difficult and will challenge you. However I do not regret it one bit. There were times when I was struggling, but it definitely taught me how to handle a heavy and demanding course load. My extended essay helped me choose a major. I would recommend it if you’re highly motivated and are willing to do the work. As the poster above me pointed out, CAS, EEs, IAs, TOK, etc. are annoying parts of the curriculum that pile up around the same time as college application season. In my opinion, dedication, motivation, and engagement are key to doing well.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

it was a very difficult program, but I wish I had taken AP to test out of more classes.

I received my IBDP in 1991. A few of the boarding schools one of my kids are applying to have IB and I was asked by the ed consultant if IB was important to me, she knew I had an IBDP and loved my experience. I am not looking at IB for kid#1 and I’m unsure for #2. There are other reasons not to do the IB program other than it is rigorous and difficult.

Are you asking about college credit/waivers or are you asking how do you demonstrate to a college that you are a bright, hard-working kid? Also, who told you that it’s the same? If it’s a respectable college counselor–believe them! Not all IB programs are equal. If it’s a kid who didn’t do the IB program, I’d be skeptical. If credits/waivers are behind your query, and IB full program is offered at your school, then I’m assuming the AP classes are pretty good. Ask for test scores to see what previous kids got. If the chances are great that you will score a high enough AP score for your college of choice, then that answers your question.

Our local high school told me that you don’t actually have to take the AP official class to take the AP exam. Have you thought of that? Take the IB class and then take both exams. Or study on your own and take AP exam.

If you are asking about demonstrating work ethic, then you know the answer already. You used the phrases “more difficult” and “more rigorous”. And the colleges know if your high school’s IB program is any good. Admissions officers ask around and that’s why they travel to visit the high schools (I have a relative who used to be an admissions director for a well-known college. And if you look around, there are probably threads that discuss this.)

If my children posed same question to me, I would turn it around and ask them, what colleges are you applying to and why? And I would ask what is the difference between AP and IB? Depth of study or busy work? Kid#1 would say science and math and engineering college. Everyone would prefer the easier path, but besides demonstrating work ethic, how do you explain wanting to major in math/science or any subject if you didn’t take the hardest course offered for said subject that also delved deeper into subject, if it was available to you?