Is it possible to got into an Ivy just because of my special origin?

<p>well,im eritrean and eritrea is not a very well-known state and id like to know wheter it would be possible to get into columbia or sth like that just because im eritrean (affirmative action, you know).
its great for them to say we have students from 162 different countrys, is it? so could i be advantaged?</p>

<p>wow, so many answers <em>__</em></p>

<p>No single factor will guarantee you admission to an ivy or similar school. Are you a US citizen? If you are not a citizen, it will be a disadvantage because the number of internationals accepted is low. </p>

<p>Your stats such as grades, test scores, etc will be much more important than your country of origin.</p>

<p>yes, i know but it could be an advantage if there are other applications like mine they’d chose me because of my special origin which is goog for their prestige…</p>

<p>I’ll answer this simply: NO.</p>

<p>No. Ivies are a crapshoot for the majority of applicants. People with perfect grades and perfect SAT/ACT scores are rejected from Ivies every year. Being black (as well as being a legacy or a recruited athlete) may help you a little, but it’s not going to make up for mediocre/bad stats and it is NOT going to make you a shoo in at any Ivy.</p>

<p>thats annoying -_-'…but given that i have perfect scores and grades and an leader-personality and many extracurriculars, could it be an advantage? and im not only black im eritrean, very rare ;)</p>

<p>You seem convinced it is an advantage. So why ask us?</p>

<p>im also asking myself why ‘_’?</p>

<p>NEVER depend on your skin color or national origin to get you into college.</p>

<p>You will not get into an ivy just because of your skin color. Black, brown, white yellow…you have to work hard and be very committed to get into an ivy. Again “minorities” DO NOT get in just because of their skin color, they worked very hard to get where they are. And quite frankly I don’t think anyone who wants to “got” into the Ivy league will get accepted.</p>

<p>

Correct. But is the color of their skin ONE of the factors that HELPS them get into an Ivy?</p>

<p>Emmele, if you feel the need to go out of your way to condescend new members with innocent and well-intended questions, do everyone a favor and at least learn to read. The poster asked if his country of origin could be a leg-up in gaining Ivy admissions, not about the color of his skin. In fact, the poster never stated the color of skin, and your assumption that he is black because he is from Africa is crude and ignorant. Also, when correcting some’s grammar, please try to be polite about it or don’t make a point of it at all. Given that Johnny’s native tongue is most likely not English, I am extremely impressed with his grasp of the English language. Johnny, my personal opinion is that if you are able to convey how your Eritrean origins will contribute to the diversity and the feel of the campus, then Ivy League schools will view this as a positive aspect of your application. Geographical diversity is a must-have for big name schools, and is especially useful in expanding a school’s reputation and broadening its sense of worldliness. And if your scores and ECs are as good as you say they are, then you should have a fairly good chance of gaining admittance into any of the Ivies.</p>

<p>thank you finally a helpful answer and to “emmele” sorry if dont speak english perfectly but i live in germany and english is a foreign language to me.
i would like to know how good your german is :P</p>

<p>my German stinks. well in all truth i’ve never tried to speak it lolz. :)</p>

<p>But if you can show the school how your origin makes you special and whatnot that can help you get in. So don’t just say you are from a different origin, tell the admin how that makes you Ivy worthy, and how it makes you a better person or whatever.</p>

<p>Good luck :)</p>

<p>Eritrean living in Germany? Doesn’t get any more unique than that! LOL, just kidding. I would say that no one on these messageboards can say for sure if your origin will be enough to push you over the top into an Ivy seeing as how you didn’t post your stats. Nevertheless, I will take your word for it and encourage you to apply to see. I would also keep in mind that there may be other American schools that you might like outside of the Ivies. They are a crapshot for everyone. Good luck though!</p>

<p>of course im not hostile to stanford,MIT,cambridge and oxford :smiley: just a joke</p>

<p>If the other qualities you mentioned are true - perfect scores, perfect grades, and leadership positions in many ECs - and you are an applicant of such an unusual background, you have a very good shot at getting in. Admissions officers do not, however, appreciate arrogance, so be careful about how you present yourself to them in your essays, etc.</p>

<p>Isn’t Eritrea North African aka Middle Eastern for identity purposes?</p>

<p>See post #2 ,#9, and #13 on this thread:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/927219-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-8-a.html?highlight=faq[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/927219-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-8-a.html?highlight=faq&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Interesting stuff…</p>

<p>No, I’m pretty sure Eritrea is considered sub saharan or East African. If you’ve ever seen an Eritrean (or any other East African) they don’t look middle eastern and you would probably assume they were African American</p>