Is Move-in Day for Freshman August 19 or August 20?

<p>Saw a flyer that stated Residential Colleges open for new students on August 19-20...but then it stated further that Orientation for transfers is on August 19 and Orientation for Freshman is August 20....So does that mean that new freshman will only be able to move in August 20? Anybody knows?
Also, how many days should parents stay to make final purchases and get kids settled... Don't think my son would need babysitting and/or hand holding. Do the sell basic necessities on campus or do we have to make a bunch of trips to Target or BB & Beyond?</p>

<p>Check out preliminary schedule at <a href=“Student Affairs I University of Miami”>Student Affairs I University of Miami. They break up move-in in 3 chunks to try and minimize the crowds. It’s a crazy time no matter what. So depending on your last name will determine your move-in time. We had the Tuesday afternoon move-in last year. We flew in on Monday. Did some shopping on Tuesday morning and then moved our daughter in Tuesday afternoon. We then had Wednesday to pick up last minute stuff. BBB has a program where you can scan stuff at your local store and then the BBB in Miami will have it all pulled for you when you get there. The local Target does get picked over. So we actually stopped in a store in Ft. Lauderdale since that is where we flew into. There are also merchants on campus. We didn’t check them out though.</p>

<p>From a parent that has done this a few times, I can say that although move-in and orientation can be quite hectic and hot, it is truly a spirited and magical time. If you take the time to read through previous year’s posts about move in, you will get a feel for it even more, but no matter what time you are scheduled for move-in, there will be lines, it will be hot and you will meet all kinds of great people if you take advantage of the opportunities to do so. The orientation activities for parents are terrific and my favorite part of the first few days. Once your student is moved in, you really don’t see much of them. They are busy with their own activities and the parent schedule is full too.
I’m sure there is some psychology to the way they schedule things to make the goodbyes easier. There will be time to run to Target, Walmart, BBB, etc and that can be crazy as well. I don’t recall one year that we didn’t have to pick up at least 1 item after we thought we had everything. However, with Amazon Prime, some hotels allowing you to ship boxes to them ahead of time, the task is manageable and fun. Carpet is sold on campus in one of the parking lots. Of course the bookstore is open and there is usually someone selling posters and such. As the time comes closer, you will probably get emails with more details. Welcome to the U Family!</p>

<p>We did the same as ummom2. In addition to picking up everything we had pre-ordered at BBB, we also went to a Target, Best Buy, Office Max, and Sport Authority nearby. Did most of this shopping the afternoon we flew in (Monday, like you), but also did some on Tuesday once we saw what else was needed (wanted) for the dorm room. My son’s move in was Tuesday morning. It sounds crazy, but they have it pretty well organized. Just be patient, especially in the heat.</p>

<p>If you miss stuff are you allowed to bring in next Day, like a Fridge or misc stuff. </p>

<p>Do the rooms have mini fridges and micro waves?</p>

<p>Absolutely, you can get a cart and move in items whenever you like. I believe carts can be checked out before
10pm when someone is on desk duty. You provide your own fridge and microwave if you want them. Not everyone has them. Sometimes roommates split and one gets the fridge, one gets the micro, one gets a rug, one gets a tv. That way they each have their own items to take at the end of the year. </p>

<p>You can also rent a microfridge (microwave and fridge/freezer combo) from the same company that does the bedlofts. My son’s roommate split the rental cost. We went with renting vs. buying so as not to deal with storage etc. For us, it ended up being a good decision since he won’t have need for a microwave or fridge next year and we didn’t have to worry about selling it, etc.</p>

<p>The one item that proved to be the most valuable is a long Ethernet cable. I think college aged kids are so used to having wireless everywhere, they don’t typically carry a cable. You should have seen the look on my son’s face when I packed the cable - one of those “sure, I’ll humor her and shove that thing in a drawer and I’m sure it’ll still be all packaged at the end of the school year” looks. Well, it ended up being a lifesaver since the wireless is often an issue in the freshmen dorms and he’s had to rely on the Ethernet for connectivity!</p>

<p>They can use a wireless router in the room. How many ETH ports they give in the room. 1 or 2… and what type of Cable they give just basic or more…</p>

<p>Why do you need a rug? What’s the flooring? Who still needs a tv when you can watch online? Another stupid question…here in Ca my kids always use a down cover…it gets chilly at night…what do kids use in Miami’s humid tropical climate? do they still want a down cover.?
.</p>

<p>For double rooms, there are 2 ports. We didn’t worry about hooking up a wireless router - the Ethernet cable works just fine and it’s long enough that he can use the laptop anywhere in the room. Here’s the link to additional computer information: <a href=“Student Affairs I University of Miami”>Student Affairs I University of Miami;

<p>Based on our experience last August (additional information will provided this summer along with orientation information) Incoming students will need to spend a little bit of time with the tech department (typically done during orientation) to get their laptops configured for Miami’s network. Because my son was doing marching band and arriving on campus several days before orientation, he stopped by the tech department (near the school bookstore) to get his laptop configured. I believe they also installed some additional software (with his permission) that would be useful to him. </p>

<p>Flooring is old laminate. A rug is nice to have. I’ve never seen a room without one. My DD has kids come over to watch movies on her tv all the time. Big screen, lots of kids in the room. Sure, they watch tv on the computer as well, but for social reasons the kids have movie nights. Also, certain tv shows bring a gathering. My DS had video games going on his tv and that brought lots of kids to the room as well.
Both my kids got inexpensive Target comforters…not down, but more fiberfill. Not everyone had a tv, and those who wanted to watch something would come by. Great way to make friends in the dorms frieshman year. Also, definitely ethernet cable!
I remember leaving my DD for a few hours to go to a seminar after we moved her in. By the time we came back, she had met plenty of kids on the floor and had checked out their rooms and stuff and we had a Target list for us of things she “needed” upon our return. So many creative ideas to make the room more cozy. Just remember though, if you forget something or just don’t want to deal with it, kids are usually more than happy for others to borrow…It is a nice community for the most part. </p>

<p>My son and his roommate didn’t want a rug in their room in Hecht! Guys could be different - i.e. no coordinating in advance on decorating, etc. My son brought a heavy blanket and used a duvet cover as a bed covering (no insert - just the cover) and he was fine. His roommate insisted on keeping the AC at 55 - while the room never got that cold, it was chilly.</p>

<p>The items I ended up sending to my son was a couple of lightweight long sleeve hoodie shirts from American Eagle. It’s hot and humid outside but many classrooms are quite cold so the hoodies were easy to stuff inside a backpack when walking between classes but accessible when in a classroom. A sweatshirt was too bulky but the hoodies were perfect for the chilly classrooms.</p>

<p>On a very humid day how cold the temp get to in the room if AC running at Extreme cold like 50ish .
Son love cold temp and not used to Humid conditions…</p>

<p>dadfor2014 - I don’t know the actual temperatures in classrooms or dorm rooms - my son tends to run warm and he finds the inside spaces to be comfortable to chilly. It is very humid in Miami so your son will have an adjustment. My son carries a large Camelback with him everywhere and refills it constantly.</p>

<p>I was more concern about the dorm room. Classes not much they can do but room they need to sleep and if its muggy and humid then the kids from north will be in for a surprise. </p>

<p>dadfor2014 - I think he’ll be fine in the dorm room - the AC does a decent job in keeping the humidity out.</p>