Is nursing at CSULB even worth it?

My D applied to CSU LB nursing. It’s no doubt a reputable school. The bigger question or concern for us is not about its reputation but rather how hard it is be admitted to the program after two years.

@Banker1 I hope she gets into the program!

“CSULB is an excellent nursing school.”

Exactly. You are in at a good university with a very good nursing program.

Ignore the doubters. They don’t know what they are talking about.

My SIL is a grad of CSU nursing and has had a long successful career that’s still going strong. If that is your goal, keep your eye on the prize and just give any doubters a smile and ignore them.

@DadTwoGirls thank you!

CSU nursing schools are in my opinion a better value than UCI and UCLA nursing. In terms of clinical nursing (think nursing in the hospital) a BSN degree is valued the same, no matter where you work. No one cares where you graduated (unless it’s a Ivy League nursing or Johns Hopkins). As long as you have a BSN and an RN license, you’re good (competitive new-grad applicant) in CA.

Also, check out the NCLEX passrates for UCI and UCLA, compared to the CSU’s. You’d expect for the schools where tuition is 3x as expensive, the UC’s would have a consistent 95%+ passrate trend.
http://www.rn.ca.gov/education/passrates.shtml

Don’t worry about where you go to school. Worry about performing the best you can in your courses and at clinicals. Learn as much as you can, and constantly ask questions. Always be curious. Because the CA nursing market in NorCal AND SoCal are incredibly competitive. You need to stand out. Whether that be grades, brain, interview, personality, of a amalgam of all these factors. If you thought getting into nursing school in CA is hard, try getting a job right now lol!

Disclaimer: I’m a CSU nursing student!

@chippedtoof thank you so much!!

@moiserean thank you so much for your thorough response!

Oh, absolutely you need to stick it out. Where you earn your license is not nearly as important as HAVING the license and being ready to go to work. Once you’re in an interview, it’s the content of your character not your school colors that matters.

@BennyBop thank you!