Is the U of A good in Anthropology

<p>I’m an international student, I’m interested in studying undergrad anthropology in the US, so I’ve seen in some rankings that U of A’s school of anthropology is ranked as high as Fifth by the National Research Council (graduate rankings) and by the Gourman report (Undergraduate ranking). Indeed, there is the same infomation in the school of anthropology’s website.</p>

<p>I liked the course catalog and the faculty, certainly they’re excelent, very appealing, but I want to know if the quality and reputation is comparable to the departments in Stanford, Michigan, Chicago and Harvard. I know that the acceptance rate is around 80%, maybe that makes me hesitate. I liked the campus and the city, but I’m terrified by the reputation of party school (that could affect academics, I think) . Tell me what you think about the school of anthropology, Is good or bad? is worth to study at U of A?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>The fact that it is so highly ranked in the graduate programs is indicative of the high quality you would receive as an undergraduate. Generally you would be privy to the same high-quality resources that are available to the graduate students. They have their own building, unlike the other SBS major, which from what I’ve seen is pretty nice. But I have a feeling you’ll have to make your own opportunities at the U of A. You will have to actively pursue high level research opportunities and close relationships with faculty members. The overall quality of the other students will also be low relative to Harvard and the University of Chicago. With that said, however, if you are on the level of Harvard or UofC students you will probably flourish here. Also the party culture is something you can easily escape from if you wanted to do so. There won’t be nubile you nymphos beckoning you to their dorms, nor will there hammered bros forcing you to take tequila shots. The UA student body is 36,000, so there is something for everyone. Though I don’t think attending the UA will preclude you from a successful college career or acceptance into a top graduate program, your options would ultimately be better elsewhere.</p>

<p>Are you an anthropology student?</p>

<p>Is too difficult to get into that school (I mean, Anthropology department)?</p>

<p>I got a GPA of 3.3 and 84 in the TOEFL, more than 180 hours of community service.</p>

<p>No, but I’m a history student, so I’m in the same college as Anthropology. You wouldn’t be applying directly to the Anthropology Department. You choose your major after you are admitted. Your GPA looks fine, but I don’t know anything about the TOEFL, so you should call undergraduate admissions.</p>

<p>Ok, you’re right regarding to the application (I’m not used to american system yet). Your information has been very useful, Thank you very much.</p>

<p>I’m applying to the U of A as well for anthropology! Thanks for responses walteral1990!</p>

<p>Barule-
I attended U of A for Anthropology and walteral1990 has given you excellent insight. The ranking is a bit misleading. Yes, the department is rated in the top 5 but U of A is focused more on the discipline of archaeology (they rank #1 in geology) as opposed to anthropology so it really does depend on what sub-field you’re interested in. You will also find the majority of the faculty does their research on southwest and native American cultures so if your interests lie elsewhere, like mine, you might want to look at different schools that can offer faculty support in your area of interest. Also as walteral1990 mentioned, the onus is on you to take initiative and find ways you can participate/collaborate on projects. Other than that, I wouldn’t worry about “party school” reputation. I don’t have that impression at all of U of A - but I lived off campus.</p>

<p>How is biological anthro at U of A?</p>