Is this a good enough reason to appeal to the UC's i got rejected?

<p>I’ve been getting rejected left and right to UC’s, and it’s because I did horribly during my junior year while i did pretty well during my soph year </p>

<p>i didn’t mention this in my app at all, but my dad had gotten really sick, with malaria actually after a trip from india, and was hospitalized all year. it got so bad that they believed his bone marrow could be damaged </p>

<p>now i think it’s safe to say that i got so stressed out by my dad’s sickness that i didn’t know what to do besides worry that he might pass away…or that he could have cancer (we they suspected for some time)</p>

<p>the doctor’s didn’t even know what was wrong with him for the longest time since malaria isn’t even that common in america. this in turn terrified me because i didn’t know what was wrong with my dad and i thought i could lose him at any moment </p>

<p>my dad ended up getting better, very slowly and it took a lot for me and my mother to help him back to his feet, and my grades drastically improved my senior year after he recovered </p>

<p>is this a good enough reason to appeal? i feel like it should work since this was one of the biggest hardships i had to go through, and it’s a legitimate reason as to why i couldn’t pay attention to grades and tests when i was constantly in the hospital with him. </p>

<p>grades wise: i have a 3.8 W right now and a 1990 SAT</p>

<p>i got a 3.4 weighted my second semster of junior year due to the stress (Ouch), bringing my avg down to a 3.8 weighted </p>

<p>during my senior year, i got a 3.8 weighted my first sem, and a 4.6 the 2nd… bringing my overall avg up to a 4.0 i think it’s a pretty good indicator of my capability?</p>

<p>let me know! thank you!</p>

<p>ps i’d be appealing to UCSB, UCI, UCSD, UCB and possibly UCLA</p>

<p>bump…please help!</p>

<p>bbbbump</p>

<p>@porkgrind Yes. I do think you should appeal. This could be compelling information to cause them to reconsider you. Your stats were terrible so this extra info may give you boost. Not to mention, it can’t hurt. Give it a shot! Good luck to you.</p>

<p>You may want to appeal, but they will wonder why, if it was so crucial to your junior year, you chose to omit it. Also, I think it has more to do with your test scores than anything else. Berkeley, LA and UCSD are seeing kids with 2200’s and above. Try Santa Barbara and Irvine.</p>

<p>well i have medical records and proof of it happening, and i plan to submit those as extra documents so that they don’t think i’m just making it up </p>

<p>It never hurts to try!</p>

<p>Don’t expect much from UCB, UCLA, or UCSD. GPA falling is understandable but your SATs are too low.</p>

<p>I know someone who got in yesterday to UCLA with a 3.5 gpa! Try it obviously miracles do happen</p>

<p>i have no hope for my appeals :frowning: apparently they accept next to no one</p>

<p>@porkgrind there is no harm in trying. Try to appeal to the schools you think you might get in. .</p>

<p>I think it is worth appealing. However don’t submit the medical records unless the appeal form specifically lets you do so. Each school has a slightly different appeal process and it is very important that you stick to that format. For instance, UCSD has a very short form that allows you only 200-300 words to appeal. If you go over that amount they most likely will not consider you. It does not allow you to attach anything. </p>

<p>I think that you have a shot. Your SAT is not that low. We know people who were accepted to UCSD with lower scores, and one who was accepted to UCLA with a score in the 1800’s. You have nothing to lose. </p>