Is this a good law school personal statement?

P.S. - I’m a senior in high school, so law school is a long way off, but I’m absolutely sure I want to go to law school so might as well plan ahead…

Anyways, I was wondering if this idea would go to far, or if it would be really great response to something like “why do you want to go to law school?”

So, when I was 16, I got into a car accident that wasn’t my fault. (I was also 2 months into having my license). I still got a ticket for it, the police work was iffy. A couple months later I got sued for it. A MILLION DOLLARS! So my family and I go through the process of having an attorney, a deposition, trying to build a case, and eventually they settled. A lot of it’s hush hush, but long story short, they had no case against me.

It taught me a lot about the legal system, and inspired me to follow in my attorney’s footsteps to do insurance defense.

So what do y’all think? Is this a good thing to write about in a personal statement? (I’m also wanting to go to law school at UT Austin!)

You are putting the cart way before the horse. How about if you get through undergrad first. You may find that your personal statement ideas will mature…as you do.

6 Likes

I think it’s the analog of a student who has a medical crisis in their family and decides to become a doctor: understandable, but also reflective of limited experience of the world.

You are at least 3.5 years away from applying to law school (more likely 5-6 years). You will change at least as much between 18 and 22ish as you did between 14 and 18. Focus on the expanding your world as much as you can in college, and see where the road takes you.

3 Likes

No - it’s not a good idea for a person statement (in my opinion).

The reason is - you are not saying anything about you.

Saying you were sued, got deposed, your insurance or someone settled - says nothing about you.

And if you’re trying to say, this led me to want to become a lawyer - that’s not really something that would fly.

I agree - you need to get into college - and law school is far off.

Write a great personal statement for undergrad and go to college, do well, get a great LSAT and then worry about law school. later.

It’s great to plan ahead - but you’re a bit ahead.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Also when the time comes do not put any personal statement on a public forum like this.

3 Likes

Agree that this is not a good topic & that it is too early for you to be looking ahead 5 or more years.

Also a bad idea for a law school personal statement because your conclusion that “they had no case against me” appears to be wrong as your insurance company agreed to pay a settlement to the plaintiffs.

1 Like

I agree with everyone else. Focus on undergrad & getting your best grades & great summer internships. Those are key for professional recommendations on addition to your academic ones. Competition for law school is tough.

Many people take a few yrs off after college as well. That will add to your resume of qualifications & buildd a nedt egg for tuition in the event you dont quzlify for a merit scholardhip. Aim to get a high LSAT score at least 167 or above to garner a merit scholarships. Law school is increfibly expensive & you have to do well in undergrad, in order to score good summer internships with great pay which will lead to great post college job offers. Take a few undergrad pre-law classes too or try & work in a law firm, as one of your internships to see if you truly like it. You are going to change so much from 18-22 & may look back on this someday & laugh OR confirm you were going down the right path. Also, when the time is right, practice LSAT tests, hone your writing skills & make sure you’ve got interesting outside activities showing lesdership or service that stand out from the thousands of other applicants. Best of luck & enjoy college!