Is UC application has the same ps questions and essays prompts every year?

<p>The subj. Can a hs student save herself some stress her senior year by starting to fill UC application in summer, as soon as she has time for it? Or could there be some chages in the application for a new year? When is the right time to start working on it?</p>

<p>haha i had the same plan.. unfortunately my aunt procrastination came home from her trip to arkansaw early and i was forced to spend most of the summer hanging out with her.</p>

<p>You might as well start early. Even if they change the prompt, you will have had some practice.</p>

<p>BTW, I found applications deadlines on the UC web-site, but no such a thing as the earliest possible date to submit the application; nor the date when next fall's on-line application will be available. Anybody could tell me when it usually happens?</p>

<p>I think for UC's you submit the application between Nov 1 - 30th</p>

<p>But do applicants have an access to the online application any earlier than Nov 1?</p>

<p>i think you can access the online application from as early as october. just not submitting it</p>

<p>You can't submit, and the UCs don't practice rolling admission, so it doesn't matter when in November you turn it in, as long as its in November. Just don't do it on the last day-some of my friends tried that and the server was down for a couple of hours. There's always that going rumor of the girl that tries to turn it in, only to have the electricity go out, or the server crash, eventually going to a CC for 2 years.</p>

<p>What I was interested in is whether my D could save herself some senior year stress and start working on UC application on summer.</p>

<p>Sure, just have her copy the essay questions onto her computer and she can work on them offline. She can't paste her essay onto the application until Nov 1.</p>

<p>So, is it safe to assume those questions are the same every year? Anybody remember them change? When? :-)</p>

<p>I thought that the questions change each year. That's why they are released at a certain time each year, rather than being available the whole year? They are always fairly generic and similar, though, so it definitely would not hurt to at least come up with topics to write about.</p>

<p>Although the questions have been the same for the last several years we can’t guarantee the questions will remain the same each year. It is best to wait for early October when the application is released to review the questions.</p>

<p>I went on a tour of a bunch of the UCs last summer and got a lot of info on the application and the essays. In Santa Barbara they even gave out the essay question list and gave some tips on how to respond, like ANSWER THE QUESTION. The counselor was really helpful, saying you wouldn't believe how many applicants go off track and don't answer the question. Also, she said don't put stuff in that is already elsewhere on the application. You should put in stuff that shows who you are that they don't already know about you. </p>

<p>The application is pretty long and you can do it in shifts. But there's a lot of questions where you have to go back and try and remember everything you did since 9th grade. I printed a copy of the application the year before to see what I was going to need for the application. Then my mom helped me keep stuff together. You know, all the grades I received for each course for each semester, the work I did and the dates, the ECs and the dates and the hours, the awards and honors. Stuff like that. It made things way easier when I had all that stuff ready to fill out the real application, especially by doing the "pretend" application ahead of time. </p>

<p>Also, even knowing that the essays might change, I started working on the essays in August, so I'd have a pretty good outline of what I wanted to say, and a bunch of different topics.</p>

<p>I stress a lot, so doing all this stuff way ahead of time really reduced my anxiety and gave me a lot of time to edit my essays and check for typos.</p>

<p>anybody know where we can find the questions..since they never change? thanks</p>

<hr>

<p>Focus: Academic Preparation</p>

<p>Rationale: The University seeks to enroll students who take initiative in pursuing their education (for example, developing a special interest in science, language or the performing arts, or becoming involved in educational preparation programs, including summer enrichment programs, research or academic development programs such as EAOP, MESA, Puente, COSMOS or other similar programs). This question seeks to understand a student's motivation and dedication to learning.</p>

<h2>Question: How have you taken advantage of the educational opportunities you have had to prepare for college?</h2>

<hr>

<p>Focus: Potential to Contribute</p>

<p>Rationale: UC welcomes the contributions each student brings to the campus learning community. This question seeks to determine an applicant's academic or creative interests and potential to contribute to the vitality of the University.</p>

<h2>Question: Tell us about a talent, experience, contribution or personal quality you will bring to the University of California</h2>

<hr>

<h2>The last one was an open-ended question where you pretty much choose the subject.</h2>

<p>Go nuts. My piece of advice for the UC application is to start as early as possible and not to turn it in on the deadline date (there's just too much pressure/anxiety that something may go wrong...). I started on my application 5 days before it was due, but that was 5 very stressful days.</p>

<p>Our college advisor announced yesterday that revised UC personal statement prompts have been posted here:</p>

<p>The UC's have revised their personal statement prompts for this fall.
Below are the new instructions and prompts, as well as a link to their web
site for additional information. If you can, start drafting your essays
over the summer. Any work you do this summer will make your fall a lot
less stressful.</p>

<p>I hope that you are enjoying your summer and look forward to seeing you
all when school starts.</p>

<p>Instructions:
-Respond to both prompts, using a maximum of 1,000 words total.</p>

<p>-You may allocate the word count as you wish. If you choose to respond to
one prompt at greater length, we suggest your shorter answer be no less
than 250 words</p>

<p>-Stay within the word limit as closely as you can. A little over—1,012
words, for example—is fine.</p>

<p>Prompt #1 (Freshman):
Describe the world you come from – for example, your family, community or school – and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.</p>

<p>Prompt #2:
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or
accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/apply/how_apply/personal_statement.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/apply/how_apply/personal_statement.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Excellent find, eastbaymom! I see it has been tailored down from three essays to two, which is probably best, since two of the three in the last few years were extremely similar. Ah, I remember the days when there was only one. . .!</p>

<p>BEEPing! stupid UC gotta change it this year...=[</p>

<p>^What's wrong with that? If you have yet to apply it will be easier to write just 2 essays instead of 3.</p>