Is UCSD Regents worth it? Or is Berkeley/LA a better choice?

<p>How important are the benefits of the UCSD Regents scholarship? Are they really worth much, or is it better to Berkeley or LA, both of which are more well-known and likely more highly regarded by employers/grad schools?</p>

<p>Benefits of UCSD Regents:

• Priority enrollment (this used to be the main factor causing me to lean toward UCSD, but with AP and community college credits, does it make much of a difference?)
  • $2k/year (money isn’t a big factor; the $2k is more of a bonus)
  • College Honors Program with “appointment of an Honors Advisor”
  • Faculty Mentor program starting junior year
  • Regents Scholars Research Initiative - research in 1st quarter, subject to availability (this was also one of the more alluring benefits; though I already have research experience from a summer program, which may help me get research opportunities even if I don’t go to UCSD)</p>

<p>I’m majoring in the biological sciences at all three; currently admitted to Biochemistry & Cell Biology at UCSD, Human Biology & Society at UCLA, and Molecular & Cell Biology at Cal - might switch later (Public Health seems pretty interesting), but it’ll still be bio-related.</p>

<p>After undergrad, I plan on going to graduate school - possibly medical/pharm.</p>

<p>I’m really unsure about which college to choose! When I first found out I got UCSD Regents, I felt completely sure I’d go to UCSD; but now that I know I could also go to Cal or LA (without Regents) and after asking other people for advice, I’m not so sure anymore. Is the Regents Scholarship just hyped up?</p>

<p>I’d like some insight into this as well. I got Regents at UCD and UCSB and got into UCLA with no Regents. I’d be majoring in Engineering and am leaning toward UCLA. </p>

<p>Can’t get a real feel of the true benefits of Regents and if I’d be giving up alot by going to UCLA.</p>

<p>It was worthy for me.
Last year I chose UCSD (Chancellor Scholarship) over UCLA, UCB and CalPoly SLO.</p>

<ul>
<li>Priority enrollment (It makes a lot of difference, You can register before seniors, so any class is yours)</li>
</ul>

<p>

So Regents/Chancellors Scholars are basically the first group in the entire college to sign up for classes? How long do you have to sign up before the next group can start signing up?</p>

<p>Also, do you know how many Scholars there are at UCSD? Are most of them part of the UCSD Scholars Society, or is that organization not very active?</p>

<p>For Spring 2013: Enrollment Times First Pass</p>

<p>Priorities February 13, 2013 8 a.m.
Seniors February 13, 2013 8 p.m.
Juniors February 16, 2013 10 p.m.
Sophomores February 19, 2013 6:20 p.m.
Freshmen February 20, 2013 8 p.m. </p>

<p>Idk about Regents, but every year they choose around 10 Chancellor Scholars.
We are busy.</p>