Johnson Scholarship -- Class of 2022

My son got a Johnson after applying ED.

1 Like

would love to hear biographies of those who got this! We are looking seriously at this school but would be out of the question without a scholarship. My son has strong test scores and GPA and is an amazing kid BUT doesn’t have a ton of on-paper accomplishments. I welcome honest feedback! He is a rising senior.

@blueskylady https://www.wlu.edu/johnson-program/the-johnson-scholarship/annual-reports (Some annual reports have a brief statement from each of that year’s entering class of Johnson scholars.)

You can also search the W&L website for “Johnson Scholar” as there are often short student profiles which mention the student’s having received the scholarship.

I’m an ED applicant, was invited and attended the Johnson competition last weekend. Waiting to hear back, just a little nervous haha. Since I’ve relied on CC so so much to prep me for the weekend, I thought I’d put my two cents out there for future finalists. I have (pretty) high stats, good ECs, and, as far as I know, solid essays. However, my impression over the weekend was that your stats matter less than you think they might. There were a lot of kids there with 33 ACT scores, although there may have been lower scores too. Your stats need to be good, but I thiiiink they’re more of a qualification - like a check in the box, once you hit the standard. My thought is that your ECs and essays are the determining factor for getting invited to the weekend. They want to know if you have a good heart, if you’re inquisitive, if you’re a leader. Highlight your traits and examples of selflessness, curiosity/intellect and leadership: its what the Johnson is centered on, and probably what the committee is looking for. While on the weekend, just be open and relaxed. I think I went into it a little anxiously, and caused myself a lot of stress! I did much better once I relaxed and let things come naturally. You don’t necessarily need to chase down every opportunity to talk to “important people”: these people are looking for finalists that, while ambitious, are not aggressive or rude; focus on forming relationships with other finalists and talking, in a relaxed manner, to the admissions counselors and faculty that you will come into contact with over the weekend. And really, don’t be stupid. There’s probably going to be a party after the interviews on Monday night, and my suggestion is that you don’t go. Going won’t hurt your chances, but if you were to drink or misbehave, it genuinely can get back to the committee, and just like that, the Johnson is gone. You’ll have all of college to party and have fun: missing this one party isn’t all that much of a loss. But if you do go, just be responsible. Enjoy yourself, but I would suggest that you don’t drink. You don’t wanna be that girl or guy stumbling back to your hosts room afterward: your host does file a report on you. As for the interviews themselves, I thought mine went pretty well. I have not gotten the Johnson (I’ll come back and let you know if I do haha) but I think my best advice is to be genuine. These people just want to get to know who you are. The first interview was really just a discussion, mine was centered mostly on my essay, and I thought it went well. I was told that the panel is “looking for an interesting conversation”. So try to be engaging! Be passionate about what you what to do, and don’t stress so much about the “right thing to say”- just be you. The group interview supposedly has less weight, but there is both a collaborative portion, as well as a more formal interview portion. Don’t try to take over, but also don’t hide from the light: be polite, responsive, and genuine. You’ll be fine :slight_smile: This ended up being way longer than I intended, but I just hope it helps! Any future finalists, please feel free to dm me, I’ll try to help you the best I can regardless of if I get the Johnson or not.

I’m wondering if any of the posters got the Johnson? I know a girl in my city did.

@luckymama64 I did get the Johnson! just found out last Friday and am so grateful to have received the scholarship.

My daughter is so happy to have gotten the Johnson!

Congrats to the Johnson winners!

Echoing @katespeare ! Such an accomplishment. I do alum interviews and the candidates I’ve met have been uniformly impressive and yet haven’t even sniffed the Johnson. Best to all of you.

Hi! Any advice to prepare for the interview? I’m a finalist and really nervous! Feel free to PM me:)

SAME! Another nervous finalist here. Could really use any advice y’all have.

Please pm. Thanks a lot.

Can past Johnson share what are the pros of being a Johnson Scholar?

My D is a current Johnson so I will try to answer.

The financial benefit is the major draw. We were pleased to find out the scholarship could also be applied to fraternity/sorority housing and meal plans if a student joins Greek life. Another benefit is the student account is credited for the most expensive meal plan so starting sophomore year if the student chooses a less expensive plan the credit remains to be applied toward other charges (or can be paid out to the student). If a student studies abroad the unused meal plan is credited to account. My D had a large enough credit to cover her sorority dues and other optional activities and still has almost $1k credit in her account.

The 7k stipend is available for study abroad, summer experiences, etc. My D says some premeds use a portion towards med school applications and travel for interviews. So it can be used toward any educational endeavor. As an aside, outside of the Johnson Scholar stipend, the Johnson Program also offers opportunity grants for experiences (there is an application process for these).

The Johnson cohort meets once a semester for dinner and speakers.

I believe that is it. There is no priority registration or dedicated advisors like similar programs at some other schools. W&L is small enough and well-resourced enough that all students have that access.

Let me know if you have specific questions and I will ask my D. Best of luck as your student makes their decision

1 Like