Joining a sorority as an exchange student at Wisconsin - Madison

I’m currently a student at uSyd (Australia) who has been accepted for a yearly international exchange to the University of Wisconsin - Madison, starting this Fall. I am keen to embrace the ‘all-american’ university experience and with this have always adorned the idea of joining a sorority.
As an Australia I’m not familiar with the terms/timeline/requirements of recruitment so basically my questions are,
Do sororities recruit exchange students?
And if so, what is the process?

Lastly, do upperclassman get involved in the Greek social life or is it more so for freshman/sophomores? I will be a junior

The participation in Greek life at UW is very low- around 10%. Therefore most students ignore it. You can have a fantastic experience at a great university without a sorority. I believe they are more common in the south. There are so many things to do and activities available you do not need a sorority for your American U experience. I would not bother with the limitations of trying to belong to a small group.

Thank you! Despite football season tailgating… does social activity slow down with the cold weather

If you are interested in exploring Greek life, then explore it. Here is the link that includes social media contacts and other information. It is clear through reading many posts, by the above poster, they are not a fan of Greek life. While it isn’t for everyone and certainly not critical to a fulfilling UW experience, it is a choice like any of the other 900+ student organizations. You get out of it what you put in to it.
https://fsl.cfli.wisc.edu

Sorry about this multiple post, phone went haywire.

OP, I believe you have misconceptions about life at UW. The main reason to attend is for the academics. In addition to going to classes, doing homework and studying for exams students have a wide variety of activities available. With such a large student body there is diversity for the types of activities. Look at the various organizations and explore several that interest you. The campus is so much more than organized (Greek) life or attending sports events.

Be prepared to first do the academic work. Since you were accepted and your primary language is English you should be able to do this. Plan a schedule that furthers your major and exposes you to the American viewpoint on subjects that differs from your own.

Then consider one or more of the myriads of clubs at UW. Social life is so much more than frats/sororities. The Wisconsin experience typically does not contain those. If you want that experience you would be better off at a place where they dominate the student experience because at UW you will be limiting yourself by choosing to be among a group that does not represent the majority. You have already learned something about American education. Your stereotypes do not apply everywhere.

Yes, I am not in favor of that system. Perhaps because I am from Wisconsin and embrace its mindset. Question for someone in the know- what percentage of Greeks are from OOS? Most UW students will be independent and not feel the need for a packaged social life.

@wis75 While I don’t know the percentages, it seemed that most of the members of my son’s fraternity were instate, and the rest were primarily from Minnesota, though I’m sure that varies by chapter. When he was rushing, I remember him saying one house was a lot of MN hockey players, another was mostly engineers from WI and MN, another house tended to have former soccer players. Greek life was outside our own college experience, but it was a positive experience for him, and he and his closest friends were very strong students.

Greek houses recruit personality and like minded individuals that fit within the house culture. No matter that you’re an exchange student --though being a junior and short term member works against you-- it’s whether or not you’re a good fit for that particular sorority. They have rush week where you’ll visit all 16 houses and sell your charming self in the hopes for a “bid”. You don’t select a sorority; they select you because you fit. If only 10% of students are in Greek life they we’re still talking over 3000 kids. It’s a big group and friendships and fun can be had. Whatever, social group you join, Greek or otherwise, it will be a very small part of the greater whole. If you leave Madison with 2 or 3 real friends for life no matter how you find them you will be blessed.

Or not, re above end statement. Religion has nothing to do with it. Good to point out that not all of those who desire being in the Greek system will get in. And most do not bother. The numbers split among 4 years of college life would mean 750 of incoming over 6000 freshmen eventually join and I wonder how many would be chosen from third year students (assuming you will have two years of college by then). I wonder how many get accepted who are so far along in college. Would it be fair to add a person who will leave instead of making room for someone likely to be there more years? Or will the international cachet play a role? How many transfers join (who were not into it at their old college)?