Journalism Grad School question

<p>Hey guys,
I was wondering if a journalism masters degree is relevant for entering into public relations/marketing/advertising. Does having a Journalism Masters degree make me more competitive for these fields? I was thinking it does, but I'm not sure, because it seems that most of the people who pursue a journalism masters degree does it to become solely a journalist. </p>

<p>Also, is there a difference between Mass Communications and Journalism? I notice that many grad schools offer Masters for mass communications. Which do you think is better--Mass Communications or Journalism? Which is more competitive for public relations or journalism? Which is better to pursue? Why would someone choose to do Mass Communications instead of Journalism? I feel that I would be better off pursuing journalism, but I was hoping I'm not making a mistake in thinking this way...</p>

<p>if you want to go into PR, marketing, or advertising, mass communications is better for your purposes than journalism.</p>

<p>if you want to be a journalist, then get a journalism degree over a mass communications one. journalism school will teach you the ins and outs of writing news stories, ad nauseum, even if you take an emphasis in broadcast journalism. if you don’t want to write news, skip it.</p>

<p>Thanks for your response!</p>

<p>I guess my problem is that I’m not sure whether I should enter PR/Marketing/Advertising or try to enter the field of journalism. I’m debating which path to take. To be honest, the Journalism grad program appeals to me more, but I feel like it would be the more difficult and competitive path to embark on. I am much more interested in journalism grad programs rather than mass communication grad programs, and thus have done a lot of research on journalism grad programs. </p>

<p>I would love to apply to the journalism grad programs at Columbia (#1 choice), Syracuse, and Northwestern, but I am afraid that I am not going to get in. I am involved in 3 publications at my college (uva) and I’m an anthro major w/ media studies minor. I have written 4 articles for the college newspaper (900-word articles), and I hope to write more this upcoming fall. My GPA rite now is 3.216 =(, but I took on challenging courses and had very filled academic schedules (17-credit semesters).</p>

<p>My problem is that while people have told me I have a good resume, I feel that half of my resume doesn’t pertain to journalism, but to things like customer service and team-building skills. I have undertaken part time jobs at home and at college that reflect these skills. Thus, I wish I could have more journalism experience. A lot of the information I have read is mixed–some grad schools want to see extensive journalism experience (like Berkley), while other programs (like Columbia, perhaps?) say that they will teach you the skills to be a good journalist. I do feel like I have the capability to be a good journalist if I was put on assignments and projects. </p>

<p>To end this long post, I realized that I prefer journalism to PR/marketing/advertising. The only thing stopping me from pursuing journalism as opposed to pr/marketing/advertising is that I feel that I am not competitive enough for journalism. Do you think I have the capability to get into a journalism grad school? Or should I try to get a few years experience after college in the work force to make myself more competitive? Lastly, If I have a pr/marketing/advertising job and then want to do journalism grad school, does that work out?</p>

<p>you will need relatively extensive journalism experience to get into columbia. i feel like a broken record saying this, but i had two years working for an award-winning news producer and i worked on an emmy-nominated documentary, and i put that front and center on my CV. a friend made it into columbia as well and he had a few years as an editor at his school newspaper and wrote a column for a widely-read toronto blog.</p>

<p>a few articles in a college paper is not enough for columbia, berkeley, or northwestern. unless you can get yourself into a leadership position at your school paper, that won’t give you enough experience. you need to try to find some professional journalism experience. summer internships (which i guess you’ve missed) or paid positions. write articles and mail them out to all your local publications. try to get freelance work at the very least.</p>

<p>also, at columbia (and most journalism schools), you are not “put on assignment.” you are told “go find and write a story.” no one’s going to hand you something and say, “there’s a press conference here, or we got a tip about that,” and tell you to go. you do that yourself. at columbia, first day of class, you have to show up with a 500-word article you write. first day, before they teach you a thing, you need to walk in the door with a story on homelessness in the south bronx or city hall recycling initiatives or whatever else you come up with. you need to hit the ground running. yes, columbia will teach you to improve your journalistic skills, but you won’t be granted admission without some measure of working knowledge.</p>

<p>i would definitely recommend taking a year or two to work and get some journalism experience. the journalism field has been going through an extremely difficult transition to new forms of media for the last few years, and it’s been made even worse in this economy. the one bright spot is, of the few places that are indeed hiring, they’d rather pick up someone with a BA in anything and train you themselves than have to pay a premium for someone holding a masters degree already. funny how that works out. go to work for a year or two and do your best to find media-related jobs. if those come up short, freelance. a lot. write and send out articles on a weekly basis, because most of them won’t get printed and you’ll need a few for your portfolio (usually your three best pieces).</p>

<p>if you work in PR and want to transition to journalism grad school, that is absolutely no problem at all, provided you still have three solid news articles to send as your portfolio. in fact, most grad students at journalism school (and certainly at the top schools) have had other careers before moving into journalism. that makes you seem like a more well-rounded and capable candidate than someone who does a journalism BA and a journalism MA with no work experience in between.</p>

<p>your instincts are right, though. your total application will not be that competitive for top schools. also, the harsh reality of it is that a journalism MA will not help you unless you attend one of these top schools. my colleague finished his degree at columbia and is now working for free at three different internships simultaneously. he has taken out personal loans to finance himself, hoping that in a year’s time, someone will offer him paid work. most of the people he graduated from columbia with have not been nearly as fortunate to find internships. yes, the guy working 3 jobs for free is the one everyone else is envying. and that is coming from the single best journalism school in the world. not good.</p>

<p>you don’t need a journalism degree to be a journalist. i’ve said that a million times here and most people just ignore me, but this is coming from someone who worked for top people, assistant-produced docs for national news stations, and all while i was still doing my undergrad. i was employed by a producer who is also a journalism professor at the grad program here (and who used to teach journalism at columbia and NYU when he lived in new york). his students would ask him for work and he’d say he didn’t have anything, but he was giving all his work to me. i hadn’t even finished my BA, but i’d proved myself to be dedicated and capable, and if i had decided to continue with him, i’d be filming a feature documentary and working on his book right now.</p>

<p>you really, really, really don’t need the degree. really. so if you want to be a journalist, do your best to find some work at it right now, prove yourself, and work your way up. in a year or two if you want to get the masters, then you can try for it, or if you want to keep going on your current path, you can do that too. good luck.</p>

<p>I do think that I need more work experience and I know that if I went to journalism grad school, the expenses would be hard on my family and I don’t think I would be able to get a scholarship. So I think I’ll get a job after college and in the meantime, try to free-lance and write articles. I’ll also write articles for paper this school year. Hopefully, it will work out and I will find the right career for me.</p>

<p>A master’s degree does not add value unless you want to teach. Lots of people go get a master’s because they can’t find work after college.</p>