just been waitlisted

<p>Very interesting info Barrons. I understand the whole balancing act Wis but if they were targeting 5,927 last year and ended up with 5,239…even if you assume those were all instate spots (which they most likely were not) 700 students - 12% - is an expensive miss. Admissions certainly has a tough job but they aren’t making it easier on themselves by delaying, deferring, postponing, and waitlisting decisions. Targeting top tier students is important for sure, but so is the $6.3M in tuition that those 700 other students would have brought in.</p>

<p><a href=“http://apa.wisc.edu/DataDigest/DATA_DIGEST_11.pdf[/url]”>http://apa.wisc.edu/DataDigest/DATA_DIGEST_11.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Various charts in this data digest show that actual Fall 2010 freshman enrollment was indeed 5,927 (see page 12, 18, 19, 20).</p>

<p>One might be an FTE number (full-time equivalent) and the other headcount. Who knows. I never heard they came out short last year.</p>

<p>All I know is my son is praying they turn to the wait list and that he gets to be one of the chosen ones since it is his dream school AND yet he is satisfied with going to his second choice school thank goodness. I am biased but all of his teachers and friends have told him he would have been a great asset to Madison and are surprised he did not get admitted. This does not help him to let go fully. For me, I will be glad once this waitling list issue is settled so I can see my dear son finally let go completely and to to be able to put both feet forward onto to his Freshman year at IU. It has been quite the learning experience and I can actually say a good one for my son.</p>

<p>judyjim- good attitude. Too many good students- not all were able to be accomodated. I presume you/he won’t consider a transfer- that would mess up his attachment to IU.</p>

<p>Thanks to the others for the links.</p>

<p>wis75, You are right. I think tranfering would mess up his IU attachment and he even told me so. Wise kid. He is the kind of kid who will get very involved in the school/student community spirit both academically and socially and would only consider tranfering under very unusual circumstances. He is coming to terms with having to let go of Madison but is still hanging on to hope of wait list. CC threads have been very informative and a big support for me.</p>

<p>I think transferring just trying to find some sort of “ideal college experience” is really just chasing windmills when there is almost always a good experience to be had at any good college. I think many are looking for answers that are really in the mirror.</p>

<p>OOPS! Don’t mind my spelling!! Forgot the second “r” in transferring. So much for having a doctorate degree!!!</p>