Kalamazoo College vs UCSD: Is spending more money for research experience and brand worth it? [biology pre-PhD]

K is very strong in Chemistry. 7th I believe.

2 Likes

It seems to me that those LACs like Reed, Oberlin, Kzoo, Wooster make it a priority to get students into research early on, help guide them to summer opportunities (that can be highly competitive), and offer all the support they need if they ultimately choose the PhD path (more research, publications, LoRs, etc). It takes a village, and those schools have the process down pat
and because of that, I believe they attract some students who are thinking PhD route and feel they may achieve more/fit better in a smaller environment. To me, it does sound like your S may feel that way too, although I think he’s going to succeed wherever he ends up.

8 Likes

I think they most certainly do have these processes. If you see number of Fulbright applications from K they are a lot too. I think the school tries to make opportunities available and nudge students towards them.

I think he will do well wherever he goes as long as he remains sincere and doesn’t go crazy with the dorm freedom that he will get :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In general, science professors at LACs absolutely LOVE it when one of their students wants to go for a PhD in their field. They will bend over backwards to help the student on that path. Of course, profs at any school may do that should they be inclined, and the student should always try to form a relationship with profs that may be willing and able to do so. But at a LAC the students are almost always carefully shepherded through the process personally by professors, as long as the profs know what the student’s goals are.

10 Likes

Isn’t it typical that the busiest instructor’s office hours are right before and right after an exam?

2 Likes

That is great to know. We were certainly sure they will be helpful but didn’t think they would specially appreciate student planning for PhD. Now you mention it, totally makes sense.

2 Likes

The researcher opportunities at UCSD/ Scrippts would seem hard to to beat. Plus long term employment in SD.
But as an OOS the price is high.

3 Likes

Employment we are not thinking. As an international especially for an area in pure science I do not think there would be much job opportunities unless of course your own company is started.

Won’t your student need research opportunities?

1 Like

Absolutely!
That’s “OMG the test is soon and I’m realizing I didn’t get sth and it may be on the test” or “why did I get that score/grade” or more rarely “what can I improve” pffice hours - not “I wish my professor knew me personally to steer me toward books/lectures/videos/opportunities that would fit me and because I so want to discuss xxx that was fascinating” office hours.
:wink:

2 Likes

Yes. LACs will have research opportunities but just lower quality research so to say. For summer research programs only some are available/allowed for internationals outside the University.

1 Like

MW, The OP’s son was accepted at both UC Davis and UC San Diego, based on their original post. You are right that many majors - especially competitive STEM fields - will be space constrained and have GPA requirements, but that is the case at any university and there are far more opportunities at UIUC or UCD than Kalamazoo should the student want to change majors.

1 Like

Just to note, UCSD is fairly generous with AP credit (https://revelle.ucsd.edu/_files/academics/ap.pdf) my kid was able to bypass the lower level math/ science courses and start as a Sophomore. Classes are large, but there is a lot of research opportunity. There is no hand holding at UCs but the students are very collaborative. The outdoor life is amazing, my kid spends her weekends rock climbing, surfing and studying.

4 Likes

We are 100% sure that he will stay in STEM. Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics are the areas even if the net is cast wide. I think all of these are OK at K.

1 Like

I have absolutely no doubt about this. I personally love California and the sea shore. I heard Davis is more collaborative than SD.

Advantage of no hand holding in large schools is students who thrive tend to become more independent than the ones from LACs. Opinion of one of my proff friend :slight_smile:

He has A levels in 4 subjects. K has agreed to transfer for 4 classes in their trimester curriculum. Little less than semester level school advantage.

Both Kalamazoo and UCSD are on quarter system, so that is not an advantage or disadvantage for either.

2 Likes

Haven’t read all the replies.

Go to Kalamazoo for undergrad, UCSD for grad school. Way way way more fierce competition at any of those big name schools for getting research experience, time w/professors so they get to know you, etc.

5 Likes

Yes. That is what we are gravitating towards.

4 Likes

Have you made any progress with the decision? :grinning:

1 Like