Kelley direct admit or take 1 or 2 semester before enter Kelley?

Hello everyone,

Here is my situation, I got admitted into Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) and Indiana University Bloomington (IU) last week, and I am deciding between the two. The exception between the two is IUPUI offer direct admit into Kelley but IU do not offer direct admit, which mean I have to take 1 or 2 semester before they let me enter IU.
I love IU in my opinion because they have more activities more students in my age group, there’s Big Ten games, little 500, and parties. IUPUI is located in downtown indy so I wouldnt mind go there either, but I favor more toward IU.
Could you help me with this important decision please? Anybody who have experienced at IU or IUPUI would be wonderful.

Thank you

I went to IU back in the day. My son goes to Kelley Indianapolis as we speak and loves it. Just last week he went to a Pacers game against LeBron and went out for Greek food.

If you tracked my posts you will see that I am an advocate for Kelley Indy. 120 Direct Admits versus 1200 at IUB. But others make very good comments about IUB. My son got DA and full Tuition at both.Honors program at IUPUI and would qualify now at IUB. He has not looked back, not even once!

I would suggest that you tour both with the recruitment teams. You might find a big difference there. One is ambivalent and the other wants you there.

I will tell you though that IUPUI, while a growing student population, is not known as a party school. On the other hand the dreams of easy access to big 10 Sports is a myth too IUB.

You can message me directly, if you want. But go both places to see how they feel.

I have a close relative who was a DA to IUB Kelley this year (now his freshman year).

When he first applied to IUB, he was told that it was advantageous to bring up his final grades and test scores before Fall of freshman year, to be directly admitted; rather than wait until sophomore year to try again…

The reason is that the program is pretty competitive for admission, and there are “weed-out” classes, even for DAs.

Apparently, it’s better to go in as a DA to IUB Kelley.

However, based on his experience, you apparently may have time to bring up your stats for DA at IUB, if your stats are currently close enough… If not:

I’ve also heard IUPUI Kelley is the very same program, just a different campus.

Obviously, the trade-off is that you are not in Bloomington.

Fwiw, the games are not free to students, and tickets aren’t always easy to come by, from what I’ve been told.

You can still go to B’ton for Little 500 weekend and the parties. Indy is less than an hour away, I think.

Tough decision. (Personally, I’d rather be in Indy - and I went to IUB, too, and loved it, but a downtown campus sounds like more fun to me). Good luck, whichever you decide!

If it is not too late to apply for the Tower at Indy versus McNutt at IUB. There is no comparison. If living arrangements are meaningful.

The Tower at IUPUI (Kelley LLC) is maybe the best Freshman dorm in the Midwest. It is a completely refurbished 4 1/2 Star Hotel 8 blocks or less away from Circle Center, Museums, Lucas Oil, Mass Ave etc.

This is what swayed my son!

At least check it out.

Thank you for your answer guys, I might thinking of going to Kelley at IUPUI 1 semester or 2 and then transfer to IU Kelley. They tend to accept that kind of transfer more since I’m already in their university system, the only objection for that is the courses at IUPUI Kelley may not transfer to IU Kelley directly. Does anyone know about this?

Thank you

Even though the Curriculum is considered the same. There is a difference in courses. Transferring isn’t hard, it just isn’t automatic. @BThomp is an expert on this Blog if you can find him.

The Kelley Schools are parochial even though they are the “same” program. After 2 years of prep for ICORE at Kelley Indianapolis, it probably doesn’t make sense to transfer. You will also already have contacts in Delta Sigma PI and other specific programs.

If it is your hearts desire to end up at IUB then just go there and do well and get in with a standard admit. I still think you should visit both schools with an open mind. I haven’t seen in your posts whether or not you have done that.

I will receive an Associate degree at Ivy Tech this semester, I don’t think I have to take 2 years of prep because the degree already prepared me for it. I have completely no idea about any of this, but yes I will listen to you and visit both schools and see which will suit me the best.

Congratulations on the Associates, that is awesome.

You are right. You wont have to take 2 years of school to get to ICORE. BUT you will need to take certain Kelley courses to get there.

Actually, get in touch with the recruitment folks to ask very specific questions. Don’t just do a “tour”. And try to meet with an adviser to map the course to help in your decision.

Both Kelley Schools want students like you!

Just an FYI. These stats are surpassing IUB.

http://kelley.iupui.edu/cpo/employers/salary-statistics/