Kids at UM

<p>How would you describe them?</p>

<p>In a word…diverse. You will find snobs, down-to-earth types, partiers, abstainers, kids who graduated in the very top of their HS class, kids who didn’t, many ethnicities, religions, backgrounds.</p>

<p>I totally agree. Here is a snippet and link to the Princeton review’s most diverse schools ranking:</p>

<ol>
<li>University of Miami (Coral Gables, Fla.)
“University of Miami is one of the most diverse colleges in the nation. One will find all types of ethnicities, religious and political faiths, as well as cultural backgrounds” here. The Hispanic and Latino communities are well represented, and there are “many international students.” As one student puts it, “Miami is like living in a public-service announcement: beautiful setting, racially diverse people, [courses] available in other languages.”</li>
</ol>

<p>Students who considered University of Miami also looked at Duke University, Vanderbilt University, New York University, University of Southern California and Boston University.</p>

<p>[Top</a> 10 Most Diverse Student Populations - MSN Encarta](<a href=“http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Departments/College/?article=Top10MostDiverse09]Top”>http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Departments/College/?article=Top10MostDiverse09)</p>

<p>I agree with everything already stated. Another word that I always felt described the kids at UM is confident. I don’t know if it’s just the kids my S knew, but the kids we have interacted with all displayed a positive air of confidence (not to be confused with arrogance). These kids are doers. Whether the school attracts self assured kids or they develop the trait there, I don’t know. I have a feeling it’s a little of both. My S had a wonderful 4 years at UM, both inside and outside the classroom, that we feel really prepared him for life.</p>

<p>I agree with all who posted.</p>

<p>When you listen to the staff during orientation you realize that they all agree on the importance of life experience and academic education; its obviously their mission.
It’s no wonder the students are self confident and self-assured. It’s part of the plan. I can clearly see it in my student – already!</p>

<p>We couldn’t be happier with UM.</p>

<p>Pix,</p>

<p>Same as the others, it is a diverse place; there are sub-groups galore, not totally easy to pin one particular type as the “Miami student”</p>

<p>I posted this as an answer in the parent forum but thought it might be helpful here also.</p>

<hr>

<p>Colorstream</p>

<p>You asked me this question:</p>

<p>“SVmom,
Are the kids at UM the down to earth type or into flashy clothes/cars? Since the school is known for its sports, does sports take over the culture of the school?”</p>

<p>There is also a false sense of Miami being a big party school. </p>

<p>I asked my daughter (a freshmen at Miami) to address these questions. Here is what she sent me: </p>

<p>Party School:
I don’t party, so I’ve never been to one. I have friends who do party though, so if you want it, it’s there. I haven’t heard of any parties on campus, and if there were, no one wants to go to them. Basically, if you want to party, just ask around and you’ll find one, and if you don’t, they’re really easy to avoid. To avoid drunken people, live in Stanford (not joking), and don’t stay up into the wee hours of the morning, when everyone’s going to be stumbling home from the parties.</p>

<p>Type of students:
You get both, and a little in-between. I find that the down to earth type people tend to gravitate towards Stanford (dorm), and the flashy cars people tend to gravitate towards Hecht (dorm). But there are rich students who have the flashy clothes and cars that are also down to earth. I’ve only met one of the stereotypical “rich” people in my time here, but that’s OK because no one else in my class can stand her. Same as with the drunkenness, you can find it if you look for it, but it if you don’t want it, it’s easy to avoid.</p>

<p>Sports:
It’s really only the football games, and only during football games. Sure, there’s some sort of fun sport going on a bunch of the time in the fields right outside Stanford, but if you’re not into sports, there’s plenty for you to do. The only time it “takes over the school” if you will, is DURING the actual football game, and even then pretty much only if it’s a home game. If you don’t want to go, it’s a perfect time to do laundry, catch up on homework, watch some TV on your roommates tv because they’re at the game…</p>

<p>Hello!
I attended UM for one year–very interesting experience.
I’ll be blunt, I have no problem with people who have money, because it is after all just a fact of life–but, basicaly everybody is loaded off their a&&&es and don’t try to hide it. not even kidding!
Yes, you will find people who aren’t, like me lol, and there are others, but it’s in one of the wealthiest suburbs of a city and yeah. It was total culture shock for me coming from pittsburgh!
Just know if you’re able to handle that.</p>

<p>It’s very difficult to find people who aren’t superficial, BUT they do exist! If you end up going…flock towards the music students, most of whom are pleasant, quirky, and down to earth.
Or better yet, visit and find out what you think of it!</p>

<p>BTW–one day while studying, I figured out that many women like starbucks on campus, most of whom have a fresh latte in their hands with red painted nails… I don’t knwo why that is! If you visit, you’ll know what I mean lol.</p>

<p>I can attest that going to Miami brought me out of my shell. I was a quiet studier in high school, not very involved in ECs. I didn’t have the time or money for ECs in college, but I met such a diverse group of people, they rubbed off on me.</p>

<p>First off, my accent. I am from New Orleans, and we are said to have an accent similar to Brooklyn. Well, now, I’ve got a Southern/Brooklyn/Boston accent. Very unique.</p>

<p>When the tuition quadrapled my final year, the character of the students changed quite a bit. As Miami still maintains that high tuition cost, I can only assume that you still have the richer kids. While I was there earlier, there were a good many rich kids, but not flashy, especially not in dress. The last year brought rich kids with designer clothes. Now, whether that’s still the case, don’t know. </p>

<p>One thing I do remember about Miami having to do with wealth was the large amount of drugs on campus, particularly cocaine. While there was a good deal of pot smoking, there was also a lot of cocaine use. Of course, this was the early 80s. That was the trend back then, people snorting through dollar bills. I remember a t-shirt, Who says it doesn’t snow in Miami, with a petri dish filled with the white powder. There was also a pretty significant gay presence. </p>

<p>Of course, times have changed. AIDS is now around, and Nancy Reagan told us to just say no, so maybe drugs and sex are not as pervasive as they were when I was there. </p>

<p>The great thing, in my opinion, was that the football stadium was, and I believe still is, off campus. Therefore, the beautiful campus was not overrun by tailgaters on gameday, as it is at most southern schools. Your more studious students, or those not into football, get a nice quiet dorm, free run of the laundry room, and as mentioned above, use of the roommate’s TV.</p>

<p>Glad to hear that Stanford is still the studying, non party dorm. The other twin towers dorms were a little more partiers. That’s where the parties with the Everclear alcohol punch, think projectile vomiting, guys, were held after midterms. And really, maybe once a month on a weekend, at the most. Not a nightly occurrence. Thankfully, the frat houses were off campus, and if you wanted to go to a kegger, you could walk there, but if you didn’t, just don’t go over there. Of course, drinking age was 18 when I was there, so we could go to the Rat for Bucket of Beer night, great fun, but alas, those days are gone.</p>

<p>Most Miami students are rich, and most of my friends at UM are wealthier than I am. But just because they’re rich doesn’t mean they’re snobs. I have some friends who are extremely nice and down-to-earth and you would never know they had money except for a nice apartment or a fancy car. I drive around in my 15-year-old car and live in a relatively cheap apartment and I’m not ashamed of it and none of my friends care that my car isn’t as nice as theirs. I’ve met rich snobby brats, yes, but you’ll find that at any private school.</p>

<p>I’m from Miami and I always knew I would go to Miami so therefore I never had any of these questions. But now that I attend, I can tell you it is a culture shock, and I’ve grown up here all my life. The reason for this is that a large percentage of the students are from New York, New Jersey, Chicago, California, Philadelphia, and Massachusetts. Add to that the in-state students from every inch of Florida, plus the international students, and finally the few sprinklings of students from the other states, and you can understand why there is no “typical” Miami student. </p>

<p>What I can tell you is this: yes, there are snobs. There are apathetic spoiled kids. There are people who flaunt their (parents) money all over the place and drive their Bentleys, Porches, and Benzs the entire half block from their dorm room to their class room buildings, then drive around for an hour and complain there is nowhere to park.</p>

<p>Then there’s (mostly) everyone else. Keep in mind, not every student from a wealthy family is going to be obnoxious. Often times, even rich people have far worse character flaws than having money. And don’t forget, the average Joe can be rude or worse. No matter where you end up, there’s going to be people you aren’t going to like.</p>

<p>But will these people add to your college experience? Absolutely. Are they all lost causes? Not even close. Eventually, it wears off. In the cases when it doesn’t, it’s just laughable. The good thing is that you’ll learn how to deal with these types of people (who you will encounter again and again in life, because they are everywhere). Maybe you’re one of them and haven’t realized it until you’re surrounded by them. Who knows? That’s the point of college - you experience and you learn. And that goes for every school. But you won’t know until you try.</p>

<p>i have been to tons of parties here and have not once seen cocaine.</p>

<p>how are the parties? not a big party person but want things to do on the weekend. Any advice?</p>

<p>I can attest for all the comments already posted in the thread. Being from a wealthy suburb in South Florida, it was no surprise to me that Miami would be any different. For my first semester, I let my preconceived notions and very narrow minded persona distract me from seeing the other side of Miami. It left me in a very unhappy state so I decided to block out all the wealth and see Miami from a different light. I got very involved in the Jewish community which was filled with a mixture of students, from students with money who were fair-weathered friends to middle-class individuals who were on scholarships and had the same academic-orientated goals as me. Outside of Jewish life, I was very outgoing and met many and a whole diverse group of students from other parts of the country and even world. I had friends from all over the globe, from all different socioeconomic backgrounds, individuals who shared similar values and views as well as opposing. Changing from a completely narrow minded individual to looking further at the picture allowed me to interact with a diverse group of individuals and form friendships with people from all over the world that I still keep in contact with today, even though I transferred to UNC. </p>

<p>With that story, it can be concluded that Miami is a private school and of course it will always carry that stereotype as being very superficial and image orientated but that does not fully represent the diverse student body that fills the University of Miami. And just because people have money does not mean there snobs, I totally agree. I come from a privileged background, but as someone mentioned above, no one can tell from the way I act as I am a very down to earth individual apart from the car I drive and my lifestyle. Though my lifestyle is not a representation of my personal character, by any stretch of the imagination and this serves for much of the student body of Miami. I am very goal-orientated and had one of the most competitive GPAs at UM’s Business School, I worked very hard and all of my friends were the same way, and many of them came from privileged families. </p>

<p>I hope this helps.</p>

<p>Bump…</p>

<p>BruinsJew, what do you drive? haha</p>

<p>My brother started UM in the fall 2009, hes back for christmas and had told me all about it because i’m applying there too. He said do not go to UM if you are not confident because it will tear you apart because people are very wealthy and very good looking and very social.</p>

<p>Most of the students are very wealthy, but they can be down to earth too, for eg. his roommate is filthy rich as many of the students are, he has a lambourgini, which is very common at UM, but he is super nice, so there. My brother is a minority student, he said it is diverse, but a lot of the minorities are student athletes. He also says that he finds UM superficial sometimes, but i think that comes in had with the location.</p>

<p>As for the comment on UM not being as big a party school as people make it out to be, it really is. That being said there are other options too, my brothers roomate is religious and has only been to one party since he started, however he has considered transfering due to the extensive party atmosphere. </p>

<p>C’est tout pour moi.</p>

<p>that’s blatantly false “warmheart”</p>

<p>lambourgini’s are not common at UM. </p>

<p>Secondly, the party scene is not what it’s all stacked up to be. Kids are really studious here (even those who party a lot). The RAs in the dorms are really strict and there’s not much in the way of partying inside dorms. And lastly, there are a ton of kids who don’t party at all. The UM party scene is one of the many misconceptions of the university, and although there are plenty of rich kids, plenty of nice as you pointed out</p>

<p>I am currently a freshman at University of Miami and I feel like I should share my experience thus far.</p>

<p>When it comes to money, not everyone is loaded. Yes there are those rich kids, but what I’ve found from my group of friends is that money is a complete non-issue. My view of this may be slightly scewed since I am currently living on a scholarship floor, so most of my friends in the dorms are on scholarships like me. However, even those people I’ve met outside of my dorm don’t seem snobbish in the least. If you are a down-to-earth person, you will be drawn to other down-to-earth people, of whom there are plenty. UM is fairly generous with scholarship money in comparison to other private universities, so if you are not overly wealthy don’t let the price tag or the fear of not fitting in with the wealthy kids turn you away. I do not come from a financially rich background I can honestly say that I have not once felt out of place at UM.</p>

<p>As far as Hecht vs Stanford, I am currently living in Hecht and I resent the image of Hecht as the loud, drunken, party dorm. Standford does have the only substance-free floors, but I know plently of people in Hecht who choose not to party at all. Where you live does not determine your lifestyle, YOU do.</p>

<p>And far as the party scene goes, I can only add to what’s already been said. It’s there if you want it, but very easy to avoid if you choose since 90% of it occurs off campus. It generally consists of house parties or clubbing at Coconut Grove or South Beach.</p>

<p>Overall I have loved every second of my experience at UM. But more than enything else, UM is what you make it. If you want to party all the time, you can certainly do that. If you want to get involved in extraciriculars, go for it! If are more studious and like to have a more chill social life, it is entirely possible. I truly believe there is a place for every type of person at UM</p>

<p>Wneckkid, i havent visited the campus myself so you prob know better than me. But i’m repeating what my brother who is a freshman at UM told me, and thats what he said. The majority of the students on his floor are ridiculously wealthy and seeing flashy cars has become a normal everyday thing for him. Kinda strange that your two accounts of UM differ.</p>