Kids stranded at Huntsville airport

<p>Please tell your kids to not leave the gate area even if the airline posts on the departure board that the flight will not leave til 9pm or later…if they get the all clear to get in the ‘q’ then they will load that plane and if your child is not there they will leave without them.
Be aware that things will change quickly and they need to stay close</p>

<p>Son will be arriving in bham later than planned obviously because of the Bham ariport shutdown. So, he will miss his UA shuttle. Does anyone know how the UA housing shuttle works if your flight is late, or what the status is tonight?</p>

<p>DS departing Reagan in about 45 minutes. Will post if there is a problem.</p>

<p>DD just boarded plane in ATL. So glad it wasn’t a longer night. Hope all goes well for all of our kiddos!</p>

<p>DS is supposed to arrive at BHAM at 9:30pm. He has a friend picking him up. I’m sure they would have room for another if anyone has a child stranded! Let me know if we can help.</p>

<p>D just called to tell me. She is driving back from North Caroina. She picked up a friend in Atlanta. Too bad I did not know sooner or she could have picked up any that were stuck at the ATL airport.</p>

<p>Spacecoastmom, I sent you a response to your email. Cc did not post message. Good luck tonight.</p>

<p>Good news and great service from the UA Housing Shuttle. Son just boarded flight to head to Bham and received a text message to contact shuttle that they were adjusting shuttle departure times for students.</p>

<p>ua Housing just posted this on Facebook:</p>

<p>Airport Shuttle Update: Due to disruptions in service at the Birmingham Airport, UA will send multiple buses to the airport on Sunday, Nov. 3, and shuttles will remain at the airport until all riders with reservations who arrive on Sunday have been picked up. If riders wish to speak to a driver, they should refer to the drivers’ cell phone numbers they were emailed prior to Fall Break.
On Monday, Nov. 4, airport shuttle service will be provided at 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Riders whose flights were delayed until Monday can ride either shuttle on Monday.</p>

<p>Thanks for that post. Hoping all students can get home tonight, but worse comes to worse, some may have to fly back Monday morning. My car service is adding another driver to make sure to get my son and another student who is on his same flight. Bless their hearts.</p>

<p>Kudos to UA. Hoping everyone returns to the university safely and as smoothly as possible.</p>

<p>ROLL TIDE!</p>

<p>Keep a check on the Birmingham airport site, which posts arrivals, diversions, delays. Seems that one of the flights that was diverted to Huntsville has now arrived in Birmingham. Son had called us that he was scheduled to depart at 825, but I see now that he is scheduled to depart at 805, so be sure to tell your kids to keep an eye on departure times. I’m sure the flight crews would like to be on the ground sooner than later as well, too. Saying prayers for safe travels for all.</p>

<p>Just saw a post on our IL Tide Parents page that Chicago flight diverted to Huntsville has just landed in BHam. So, flights are moving again.</p>

<p>My son just took off from Birmingham. Hope everyone gets back safely.</p>

<p>Has everyone gotten a way to Birmingham or Tuscaloosa from Huntsville?</p>

<p>Well, the UA shuttle response was not the good service we had hoped for after seeing the message from them that they were sending extra buses. Son waited for 3 hours before finally departing the airport. Finally got to his dorm about 1am this morning.</p>

<p>Thanks to all who PMed me about other airport transport options. Will not try the UA shuttle at Thanksgiving!</p>

<p>My DS was originally on the 7:20 flight out of Midway, changed him the day before to noon flight because of a group project he needed to work on, thank goodness. Feel badly for all the kids who got caught up in that last night!</p>

<p>I think our son had either the same or similar project. Hope he survived :)</p>

<p>SpaceCoastMom - glad he made it home for the break and eventually back to Tuscaloosa! </p>

<p>What a crazy ending for so many students delayed or stranded.</p>

<p>It’s all a learning experience. Our freshman year, we had snow when returning from winter break, then the tornado at the end of the school year. Son plans to attend grad school in an area frequented by snow, so guess he’ll be prepared for snowbound flights, too!</p>