L&S Foreign Language Graduation Requirement

I noticed that to receive a B.S. in the College of Letters and Science you need “Third level of a language”. What exactly does that mean? How many semesters is that? https://pubs.wisc.edu/ug/images/babs2009.pdf is where I found this information. Thanks!

It means 3 semesters of a single language. If you’ve already taken 3 years of language in high school, that requirement will be fulfilled as well.

Also, a BA requires 4 semesters (or HS years) or 3 plus 2 of a second one. You can get a BA or BS regardless of your major in L&S- based on your language and breadth courses. The required courses for the major are the same. Most UW students will have met the language requirement in HS- based on the profiles of accepted students in the admissions info on the UW website- since they will have taken it to be competitive for admission.

The only reason to take a foreign language placement test is if you intend to continue it at UW. You can get retroactive credits upon completion of the UW course you qualify for- you may place in a repeat of one or more years you have done in HS. Most would rather use the 4 credits for another first semester course. You’re likely to acquire plenty of credits for graduation without getting the retroactive credits as well.

It can be fun to add another language for STEM majors. Eons ago, before the days of internet translations and the ubiquitous use of English, it was suggested to add certain languages for a Chemistry major.

Remember you choose your degree type when you sign up to graduate, no need to lock in your decision now. Go beyond minimums- take courses for your own education, not only to meet requirements.

@silmaril @wis75 I took four years of Japanese in high school (including AP Japanese), but even though I didn’t take the AP test, I don’t have to take a foreign language? Also, yes I would love to go above minimums, but I also want to be sure I graduate in four years. Additionally, I really don’t have much of any interest in foreign language, which is why I really only care about fulfilling the minimum requirements for that at least. Thanks for the responses!

You met the requirement. Once you are at UW you will discover courses that intrigue you even if they are not necessary. You can graduate in four years plus educate yourself more broadly than you think. Consider an Art History class or Symphony (maybe P/F) that will be beneficial to you decades later. There are tons of classes available to meet many diverse interests.

@wis75 Yeah for sure I totally agree. That being said, there will also be classes that are required that you aren’t interested in. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to study a variety of things, but foreign language just really doesn’t interest me all that much. Thanks again for the comments!