Laptop for Cal Poly SLO freshman

My son is going to start as a music major at Cal Poly, and is thinking of adding nutrition as a minor and possibly switching to it as a major. Tried looking on Cal Poly’s website, but there are no recommendations for a generic freshman computer (they got specs for a couple of majors, e.g. landscaping, etc. but those are all different and aren’t helpful).
Thank you for advice!

Honestly, it doesn’t matter, even for students in the most computer intensive majors like ME. Any modern laptop, Windows, Mac, even Chrombook with a printing work around will be fine. I’d send him with what he already has and then let him pick something within your budget from the bookstore once he has his feet on the ground.

The only considerations you really need are 1) size of the laptop 2) are you bringing a monitor to the dorm and 3) amount of memory. The top end laptops are ones like the MacBooks or Dell XPS, but you can definitely make due with something for half the price.

If you are bringing a monitor, I would go with a 13” instead of a 15”. I would also want my laptop to have at least 16GB of memory.