Last few class days before Thanksgiving

<p>I assume that your comment was directed towards me, D told me that her instructor had already told them no class that night.</p>

<p>ClassMom2012 My son has a UH class that meets late on Tuesdays. They have a big day of presentations scheduled on the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. Have your student look at her syllabi for that week and see what she would be missing if she were to miss class.</p>

<p>^^ Actually, no I was answering the OP who thought there might be a lighter load those two days of Thanksgiving week. The syllabi should state what is to be covered in class on those days.</p>

<p>Why do I book flights at 6:30 am flights when it means leaving at 3 am- third time I did it. I may have saved a few bucks, but it really isn’t worth it. FR year I booked good times & close airport for Thanksgiving. Should have done it this year.</p>

<p>Rebooking of flights…this may help some of you. ALL US airlines are now required to allow changes and or cancellation up to 24 hours after the initial booking of the ticket if needed.</p>

<p>So if you book a ticket and after a few hours realize that you messed up the dates, the airline has to allow you to cancel it and rebook if you want or change it without a change fee. If there is a fare difference you will need to pay that, but there will be no penalty fees.</p>

<p>I have found that UA/AA/US try to act ignorant of this fact…I have had to push them by saying “It has not been 24 hours yet” and then they relent. </p>

<p>I hope that this information helps some of you.</p>

<p>^^^^Buzymom3,
How long has this been in effect. When I tell you Delta was adamant, one rep supervisor told me (after just 1 hour after booking a flight that was 7 months away) that there was no way possible that the change fee can be waived. What finally put it over the edge and the change fee was waived was my asking them to provide me with the number of the Better Business Bureau which they are obligated to provide, miraculously getting me another supervisor who “did me this one time favor”.</p>

<p>I can’t help but wonder if there are students who choose to stay around for the Ironbowl. I was in Birmingham once for Thanksgiving and found it to be great experience and we didn’t even go to the game.</p>

<p>Ok booked Holiday break and changed Thanksgiving, now I can get on with my life :)</p>

<p>The Iron Bowl is in Auburn this year. Some students do go over there to tailgate, etc.</p>

<p>NYBama…I believe it took effect in January 2012. It was part of a larger consumer protection act for air travelers that bumped up compensation for being bumped, international flights getting tarmac delay limits and bag fees being forced to be refunded if your luggage is lost. </p>

<p>Here is the DOT announcement of the initial law…other provisions are being phased in.</p>

<p>[New</a> Airline Passenger Protections Take Effect This Week | Department of Transportation](<a href=“http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2012/dot0812.html]New”>New Airline Passenger Protections Take Effect This Week | US Department of Transportation)</p>

<p>I am the Director of Travel for a large college so I have to keep up on this stuff :)</p>

<p>Thanks for info. Will have my D take as look at her syllabus and take it from there!</p>

<p>Another thing to keep in mind when booking roundtrip when you never know if something could change, book each flight seperatly on its own reservation. If you happen to need to change the first leg on a RT ticket, they cancel the ENTIRE reservation and start over. Then you not only have to pay the fair difference on the flight you are changing but the ones you are not as well. On all of D’s flights to/from home I have on seperate reservations just in case something does change.</p>

<p>^^^That’s always a good idea if the R/T flight price is about equal to the two one way flights. However on some airlines carriers, when you price the individual flight, it can be as much or more than round trip travel. Often, it is that way from where we travel. Southwest prices by each individual leg of the trip, so it will be the same price whether you book a round trip or two one ways.</p>

<p>Most of the airlines don’t give the RT discount like they once did. Years ago it was almost always cheaper to book RT vs OW. Not much nowadays.</p>

<p>^^^I had just checked some flights on Delta, they were significantly cheaper R/T than they were for the same flights/times as individual legs. Each airline is different, that’s why you need to check.</p>