Last minute things to check out at Alabama?

Hello,
I’m finally heading down to Bama for an Honors tour tomorrow. Unless I decide to attend, I probably won’t be there again. We have tonight to do whatever so please recommend something cool to check out! Obviously we will stop by the campus but is there something I should try to see. I am not 100% sure about Greek life or any of that so I didn’t get in contact with any fraternities so I have a bunch of time. Also, just any thing you would tell a friend or family member to look out for, let me know.

I’m a fan of Avery Johnson, so I’d go to the UA men’s basketball game tonight on campus (Thurs). (I’m a bit confused on if you are in T’Town Thurs or Fri…)

Adding: TONIGHT (Nov 2) is season opener! It’s an exhibition game, but the only one of the year, and it will still be great. I also did not realise that AJ’s son is on the UA roster. Roll Tide!
http://www.rolltide.com/news/2016/11/2/mens-basketball-alabama-opens-2016-17-hoops-season-with-exhibition-vs-faulkner.aspx

@aeromom I will be there tonight and tomorrow. Today is the 3rd, not the second but thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, sorry…TONIGHT (Nov 3rd!) is the opener game. (To me, it’s still Nov 2nd…GO CUBS!!!..forever #1 on the 2nd…)
There are many suggestions for restaurants in Tuscaloosa (search on this forum). Definitely just drive around campus (if you have a car) aimlessly and see how beautiful it is at night. If you’re walking around, don’t be shy about asking questions of students also walking around. It is truly the best way to see if you can see yourself there at that school.

If you’re going to be in Birmingham, I strongly suggest a visit to the civil rights museum, the adjacent park, and the 16th Street Baptist Church across the street (if they are open to visitors).

@NoVADad99 we landed in Bham but are heading straight to Tuscaloosa. I literally just saw the sign for the Civil Rights Institute though. Is there a specific BBQ restaurant that everyone likes in Tuscaloosa? My moms friend couldn’t remember the name

Dreamland is the most famous one. Archibald’s in Northport is also very highly regarded.

You might also check out the extreme north end of the campus (not a part of the campus tour). Look for Manderson Landing right off of Jack Warner Parkway, right along the Black Warrior River. It’s a small park attached to the River Walk. The landing itself is very nice and it’s where the rowing/crew teams launch from (new area just a year or two old). It’s a pretty place to stop and relax for 15 or 20 minutes before or after dinner this evening… if you like that sort of thing. Have a great visit!

The “new” Dreamland just over the bridge in Northport has more variety on their menu than the original Dreamland, FYI. If you are visiting for the first time and want to try Dreamland BBQ, better to go to the new one in Northport at 101 Bridge Avenue. (That was actually where my son and I went for our first night in town, on our first visit.) Enjoy!

People also really love Full Moon BBQ…it’s on the corner of 15th street and McFarland

Or Jim and Nick’s, another favorite.

Ok thought I would update y’all(I say that now, just kidding). But I haven’t had the official visit, just waked around with my parents and went to eat. I had very high expectations because of what I have heard from everyone else. I’m happy to report that my expectations were exceeded in every possible way. I’m sure the tour tomorrow will help more but I absolutely love it so far. Yeah you can see nice buildings online but walking through tree surrounded side walks and the Shelby quad and everything was awesome. We didn’t find the BBQ restaurant but we ate at Buffalo Phils and they were the best wings I have ever eaten(highly recommend the garlic)! Also, I ran into someone from my high-school that I haven’t talked to in two years. Crazy. Pumped for tomorrow but if you’re even considering going to Bama, I highly recommend a visit.

Hope your tour days goes well, soyunchico! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that campus and wish I could go to college again :wink: (Parent of UA student speaking)

I am now really hungry. That is all. :smiley:

At mugshots now. Ordered PB burger. Let’s do this. Roll Tide.

Mugshots continues to disappoint me. There are better places to eat in Tuscaloosa!

@aeromom my whole family thought it was so good. We wanted to go somewhere else but it was too busy.

I have gotten hand written letters from tour guides after tours before. But I just got a handwritten letter from an admissions rep that we ran into while walking on the campus on a weekend!!! I never contacted her before or gave her anything involving my name. I told her my first so it was easy for her to look me up but the fact that she went out of her way to this is so crazy! UA really is a special place that cares about you!

17 "UA really is a special place that cares about you!" Yes, we have found that The University of Alabama "team" goes out of their way to help our student succeed and thrive!