Latino or not?

<p>I have had experiences living in Brazil for around 5-6 years but I'm Chinese. I have a permanent residency in both Brazil and USA. Am I considered some what of Latino background?</p>

<p>I think that there are 2 points that must be addressed: whether or not Brazil is considered under the definition of Hispanic and whether you identify as Brazilian.</p>

<p>First, the definition of Hispanic for college admissions purposes follows that of the US Census, which does not include Brazil as Hispanic; See post #1 of the sticky Definition thread on this forum and the options offered by the CA when the Hispanic box is selected. That said, some programs, such as NHRP, do consider Brazilians under their definition of Hispanic. So, while one cannot indicate Hispanic on the CA, some schools may take into consideration a Brazilian background.</p>

<p>Second, as you will see in post #1, what is critical is that you identify as being Hispanic, there are no racial, time in residence or any other qualifications. So, only you can answer the question of whether or not you have an ethnic identity as Hispanic. From your wording, my guess would be that while you lived in and experienced Brazilian culture for 5-6 years, you don’t really consider yourself as Hispanic, JMO.</p>

<p>Remember, race is separate from ethnicity, Hispanics can be and are of any race(s).</p>