Lewis and Clark concerns

<p>Although obviously I'm running out of time to decide where to commit, there is less than a week left before May 1st, I am still unable to decide between Lewis and Clark and Occidental. Due to receiving merit at L&C and aid at Oxy the prices are basically the same so that is not a factor. If any students, or really anyone on here who knows more than me, could give me answers to my concerns I would be extremely appreciative. I know it is a lot of text so if you even just answers one or two of my concerns it would still be really helpful.</p>

<p>Concerns</p>

<ul>
<li><p>Retention rate: If it I pick Lewis and Clark I would be doing so not because it's the highest ranked or most prestigious school I got into but because I really liked the atmosphere of the school and the classes when I visited, as well as the proximity to Portland. Thus it has been troubling to read about how the low retention rate is due to students trying to transfer to better schools because they did poorly in high school. Is this really the case, and if not why the poor retention rate?</p></li>
<li><p>Social division: Something that I have read many times now is the major social division in the school between the athletic kids and the rest of the school. This is especially important to me as I would be interested in playing club soccer at L&C, but as I would describe myself as a nerdy and liberal kid who also has an interest in soccer would I be able an outcast? When I sat in on a class while visiting there was a guy wearing the school soccer shirt who was sitting by himself and seemed terribly out of place in the class. Would me not be a sporty kid and men's soccer only being a club sport help me with this issue?</p></li>
<li><p>Cliquey: As someone who fits into a lot of different groups, as I have quite a variety of interests, I really didn't enjoy the cliquey social scene of my high school. Does Lewis and Clark suffer from the same problem as I've read? For instance is it socially possible for me to be involved in music, nerdy gaming, soccer, and activism?</p></li>
<li><p>Academic gap: While I'm sure there are many academically strong and intelligent students I'm worried about the other end at L&C. With the high acceptance range and relatively easy admission it would seem that the bottom quarter of the school is not that relatively strong academically. I remember reading somewhere that a student said that only a third of the students at Lewis and Clark took their academics seriously. Ideally I would like to be in an atmosphere where everyone took their academics seriously so this really bothers me.</p></li>
<li><p>Prestige: While I don't really care that much about prestige I would like to be able to go to a top graduate school. I have attempted to gain knowledge about where L&C students go to grad school from the school but have not got helpful answers. For instance when I asked the pre-law guy at admitted students day where their students go to law school he gave me names like Harvard and Stanford which sounds great but without numbers and time span is virtually meaningless.</p></li>
</ul>

<ul>
<li><p>Retention: I don’t know what retention rate data you are looking at but L&C ranks above average in persistence for a Selective school. <a href=“http://www.act.org/research/policymakers/pdf/retain_2012.pdf[/url]”>http://www.act.org/research/policymakers/pdf/retain_2012.pdf&lt;/a&gt; Occidental’s is better though.</p></li>
<li><p>Social: Not an issue. Students generally hang around with the friends they develop in their clubs, particularly at meals. You still take classes with everyone. DD has friends in a wide spectrum there.</p></li>
<li><p>Cliquey: You can absolutely fit in. DD is nerdy (math), fencing club, and attends all the music events on campus to support her friends.</p></li>
<li><p>Academic: Would this be about the 1% admitted in the bottom half of their HS? Ideally all students interesting in learning would want to be in a school where everyone takes academics seriously. Unfortunately that’s not the case anywhere. You will find your fellow students who are serious about learning, and you may very well hang out with some who are not so much because they’re fun.</p></li>
<li><p>Prestige: I hate that word. Studies have shown the school you attend is not NEARLY as important as the student you are. HS students who have comparable stats at Harvard and Hoboken U have about the same success in life. That being said, you should ask for stats for the last few years on how many students went on to grad school and which schools they attended. They are the #17 producer of Fulbright award winners at liberal arts colleges—Fulbright U.S. Student Program 2012.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>melvins, this is a bit tangential (DD just committed to L&C, DS goes elsewhere), but regarding the academic question: DS agonized last year, after narrowing down options late in the game, over choosing a very good school that had his heart vs. a more ‘prestigious’ one that was much more selective but didn’t really feel like his personal best fit. He finally went with the one where he truly wanted to be, and he is so happy he did. If everything else lines up close enough for you, I hope you go where you really want to be. Good luck!</p>

<p>Regarding the retention, anecdotally I’m under the impression that financial reasons are FAR more common for transferring than “prestige” reasons. If it’s a financially reasonable choice for YOU, I wouldn’t come in expecting to be driven away, but the reality is that some of your friends might. Other issues are the fact that it’s a small school you might end up deciding that you need a school with a department that LC just doesn’t have, like people in the theatre department who decide they have an interest in film (which LC doesn’t really have classes for). I’d say those two reasons are FAR more common than just a prestige thing - it’s an expensive school, and it doesn’t have everything, but if you can afford it and it has what YOU need, you shouldn’t be worried.</p>

<p>Thank you guys for your input. I plan to commit tomorrow.</p>

<p>Anyone has experience with its NY Study Away program? My D is interested in this school because of its strong Study Abroad and the chance to take an internship at museum in NY while attending classes. Is it as well-run as it sounds?</p>

<p>mellvins059: Congratulations on your choice! I look forward to seeing you at NSO, I will be a part of the orange-shirted orientation team :)</p>

<p>momfromWA: I have a lot of friends who participated in the NYC study away program last semester and I’ve heard nothing but great things (well, other than the hurricane).</p>

<p>Can you say how good the merit aid is at both schools? I’m finding some, but not extensive information on that. Maybe typically only $10,000 max at both schools? Thanks.</p>

<p>Both schools meaning Oxy and L&C? I know L&C has a mix of full, half, and smaller tuition scholarships. The Full and Half are very competitive.</p>

<p>Nice to know, thanks.</p>

<p>I believe top 1/4 of admitted students receive 1/4 tuition (~10k), 25 students receive 1/2 tuition, and 5 students receive full tuition. Then there are also more specific scholarships (debate, music, service, etc.) that I don’t know much about.</p>