Living in West Lafayette, Indiana and attending Purdue University

<p>So my interest in out of state universities has increase. Considering grades, family issues etc.... I'm starting to think it may only be more logical for me to have such a break, and would only make since for college. I was looking at universities near Lansing, Michigan ( and well respected) concluding with Purdue University, Ohio State University- Columbus, University of Illinios- Champaign. I really second question OSU since my top universities ( though with grades, family issues etc.... I'm starting to question which is better for me) are their rivals. So far I'm looking into Purdue ( actually just re-encountered a sorta old associate who is attending Purdue in fall), and would like to know more about the unviersities and basically the city. </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Pudue is great!!! West laff. is a great city ,and only an hour from indy!!</p>

<p>The only way to get a sense of a place is to VISIT yourself. I went to Purdue for one year years ago and found W. Lafayette to be a small, conservative stifling town. Contrast to ucacheer’s endorsement above. Moral: it’s in the eye of the beholder.</p>

<p>Personally, I’ve started to like West Lafayette. At first it did seem like a small stiffling place, but after a while I saw the charm of this town and its habitants. In the beginning you may not like the city, but after a while you’ll see how much Purdue and West Lafayette really have to offer.</p>

<p>Similarly, I’ve seen a lot of kids (especially from big cities in California) who hated West Lafayette, but now have come to like it. </p>

<p>Coolbrezze, what’s your major? What city are you from? What expectations (if any) do you have of college?</p>

<p>^</p>

<p>My intended major should most likely be in science. I’m from Lansing, Michigan. My expectations of college are ( a few listed) to be good in the following areas:
Academics
Social life
College town/ offer many things for college students
Sense of independence from home
Study abroad
Internships
Able to get a great job/ attend graduate school</p>

<p>Oh wow, the list just goes on…</p>

<p>Should I mention I’m a senior in high school, graduating in 2010.</p>

<p>Well then:
Academics: Purdue is very well known for its academics</p>

<p>Social Life: With over several hundred student organizations, the 3rd largest Greek community, +40,000 students, students from all around the country and the world, a bar/partying/chilling area just for students, I’m sure you’ll have a great social life.</p>

<p>College Town: West Lafayette is a great college town. The town’s pretty much around the university. There’s free buses for students and pretty much all the retailers and restaurants cater to students as well. </p>

<p>Sense of Independence: speaks for itself</p>

<p>Study Abroad: Purdue’s very keen on that: [Office</a> of Programs for Study Abroad - Purdue University](<a href=“http://www.studyabroad.purdue.edu/]Office”>http://www.studyabroad.purdue.edu/)</p>

<p>Internships: Purdue organizes the largest job fair in the world (called Industrial Roundtable, has +200 companies attend). </p>

<p>Able to get a great job/ attend graduate school: Purdue’s pretty big on research, so if you get some undergrad research experience it’ll be easy getting into a good grad school. Great job: that’s what Industrial Roundtable is for.</p>

<p>Hope that helps</p>

<p>Very helpful, thanks</p>