Living Options - on and off campus

My son just got accepted! I was told that we need to act quickly to get good housing options. I was also told there were “private dorms.” What are they? Where are they? What types of students typically reside in the private dorms?

If you are wanting to live on campus, then complete Phase 1 of housing application on Howdy. Then in Phase 2 you’ll list preferences, opt in for roommate(obviously not for you if want private room). Phase 2 time slot will be give you to (date and time). Then later you’ll receive a date and time to actually find a room and grab it. Not sure how many private rooms there are.

If you want off campus student living, there’s a plethora of options and you can solidify that as early as now. Several private rooms but pricey!

Oh and CONGRATS!!!

Thanks!!

@and22go : CONGRATULATIONS on your son’s acceptance! Being an Aggie is something special! Welcome to the AGGIE FAMILY!! :smiley:
For housing in CStat, there are a lot of options off campus. Neither of our daughters, TAMU Class of 2016 and TAMU Class of 2021 lived on campus at all. You can get plenty of info about on campus dorm living on this forum. It has worked out well for a lot of people, but our girls just didn’t want to live in the on campus dorms. Here is what worked for our girls.
Our older daughter lived at Callaway, a private dorm near Kyle Field. She lived with one roommate, (someone she knew from hometown church), and they each had a separate bedroom and sink, shared a bathroom, living room and a kitchenette (no oven). They didn’t have an assigned parking space in the Callaway parking garage, but I think that is an option and probably costs more. There was a dining facility downstairs plus a pool, laundry room on every floor and maybe some other study or gathering areas. I think that they signed a contract before January of their HS graduation, even before they had been accepted.
Our younger daughter lived in a private one bedroom apartment at The Rise, on the opposite side of campus from Callaway, but right across from the new Engineering building. She had a full kitchen and private laundry with her one bedroom apartment. We slpurged on a private one bedroom apartment for her as there was no one she know whom she wanted to room with and she did not want to try the pot luck roommate matching. She really needed her space and had a huge need for quiet while sleeping. It worked out well for her. She did not have an assigned parking space in the Rise parking garage, they did not have enough spaces. Not an ideal situation, but the location of the apartment worked well for her. She signed her rental contract on Good-Friday before HS graduation, which was late, but since it was a one bedroom, there were several available at a few different places.
Living off campus is do able, even as a freshman. Living right on the edge of campus for the first year worked for our girls and then they lived further out for their later years. Just check for locations on the TAMU bus route. Driving to campus requires a parking permit AND a lot of extra time/planning, but it is all a learning process.
There are a lot of duplexes and 4 plexes and larger group living further off campus, some locations with a lot of luxury ammenities (and WOW, has college housing changed since my day!!) and some which are more modest.
Make a list of what your son REALLY needs, then list what is on the ‘wants’ and what is a definite NO. That will help narrow down the options. There is a lot of info available online.
Good luck and WELCOME TO THE AGGIE FAMILY!!